Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
Tarditionally, northern New Englang trolling for landlocks and trout is done after iceout and then again when the weather cools in the fall using intermediate lines when the fish are on the surface and fast sinking lines when they are not
In the summer, you'll need leadcore line to get down to the level where the fish are.
Each area and even the individual lakes have unique streamer patterns depending on the coloration of the local smelt.
There's a lot of tradition to this type of fishing and I'm sure that you'll be able to find plenty of information about it.
Quote Originally Posted by MSD53X View Post
Alberto;

I'm in southern Maine, and I tie tandem trolling flies ( front hook down, rear hook up), #4 R4-9672 Mustad. The most popular flies here are King Smelt, Arnold, Govenor Aiken, Mickey Finn, and the Sneaker.
Full sinking line is a must, right now about 15' down. You also have to tie them real scimpie (less is more). If you are buying them, be prepared to thin them with nippers.
The browns and rainbows have been attacking them hard. Haven't caught a Landlock so far this year.

Good Luck

P.S.
I always paint eyes on my flies, not sure if it makes any difference, but I feel better ha ha ha

Dudley's and MSD's posts pretty much mirror my own experience in trolling for ice-out landlocks,lakers and brookies here in New Brunswick.As mentioned,new England trolling flies are steeped in tradition and there are regional and local faves that may more closely represent local smelt and baitfish populations as well as untold generic patterns that probably work anywhere.Look into Carrie Stevens and Rangley style flies and you'll find enough patterns to keep yourself busy tying for a few winters,lol.