+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting Low Holed

Hybrid View

Unhappy Getting Low Holed

Fished the Deschutes on the way back home from a wonderful trip to the Yak and got Low Holed on a fifty yard stretch of great water. There wasn't anyone out there except my dad and I. We were wet wading down a stretch of river where you can wade nearly in the middle. This guy saw us from the bank/trail moving down river and popped into the place where it dropped off and you get out, and he moved in.

As we were getting closer (about 15 yards) he started to get out into the last stretch. So very nicely, I yelled, "Thanks for low holing us" because that's where alot of fish lay and he spoiled it. He proceed to say something but I couldn't hear. But from from that distance I could have, and should have cast my fly either at him or across his line. I know it's one thing steelheading and getting really mad, but trout fishing that's BS too???

This guy had all the good gear and should have known better (I think). This is my only gripe from one of the best weeks I've had all year. PLEASE LEARN SOME RIVER MANNERS, (people that think they own the river and actually might LOL) but wearing full waders up to the chest in 90 degree heat, maybe he was trying to showoff his cash. All I got to say is he spoiled one of the best ledges on that stretch before we got to it.

Just ask next time or start up above. Don't pull that type of BS. It's not the way things are done or should be done.

-Jake

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Jake,

Sorry that you ran into an idiot in such a sweet spot but it's going happen unless you can afford to fish private water or you can buy a stretch of river for yourself like Ted Turner. My guess would be that the guy was completely ignorant of the "rules of the river" and really intended no offense. I would suggest that you sit quietly 15-20 minutes to rest the water and give it another try. I've had a fishing family wade/swim right up the middle of the run I was fishing with Mom, Dad, three children (complete with tubes) and two big dogs. They gave me a cheerful "Hello" and asked how the fishing was. I waved back, slowly ate a sandwich, and caught another nice fish out of the run before moving on. Sometimes you just have to chill. 8T

Wasn't too pissed but still, still, should have known better.

One might have taken the time to educate a fellow flyfisher that isn't familiar with onstream protocol.

MontanaMoose

No offense, but if a fly fisherman doesn't visit the online world for fly fishing he will probably not know the etiquette. It's not like G&F hands out a pamphlet with guidelines on how to behave on the river.

I understand your frustration, but perhaps his under the breath mumbling was actually what you said... thinking you need to learn some manners.

For instance, I'll give you my personal fishing history.

I come from a background of fishing on lakes back east. The rules there, if you are in the spot, it's yours. Perhaps it was somebody like me who primarily fishes lakes and doesn't know that on rivers, you can only enter water upstream of somebody else. (Honestly, even that seems a little pompous, as somebody will always be upstream from your current position if you are fishing a good spot.) And yes, before I hit a stream and see somebody upstream, I will ask first. But I only do that because of visiting this forum and seeing rants like yours.

Lastly, your comments regarding wearing waders when it is 90 degrees out, not everyone likes to wet wade! So really, from my POV, you aren't to different than him in your thinking. Remember, when you assume something, you're just making an *** out of u and me. And if it is 90 degrees outside, then why are you trout fishing while wet wading? If that water is anywhere above 70 degrees you shouldn't be fishing anyways.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Yeah, don't hate on the waders. 90 deg out....one of the reasons for breathable waders.

+ Reply to Thread