Quote Originally Posted by Jayatwork View Post
Ray, being "low holed" is mainly applicable to swinging for steelhead, where one casts, swings and then takes a step down stream and repeats. Low holing, ie stepping in below someone who is working through a run is the equivalent of cutting in line and considered bad form. It is generally acceptable to start at the top of a run and follow someone through, although it's nice to ask.
Good explanation Jay.I guess it goes back to previously mentioned reginal differences and style of fishing,ie:swinging wets vs. nymphing or dead drifting dries.
I'm a bit spoiled living in the relatively un-crowded east coast of Canada,where if I see even a single vehicle on a fave trout stream I'll often move on to another section.I spend most of the summer months swinging flies for Atlantics,usually on public water,where EVERYBODY knows the river etiquette and newbs that don't will soon be educated by the locals.Cast,swing,step,repeat.Ignorant a-holes that choose to ignore the rules and insist on "low-holing",growing roots,or being barnacles might just find that a #2 double has mysteriously found it's way downstream to tear those $600 Simms off their sorry a$$,lol.Seriously though,it rarely if ever comes to that,though I've heard that one from old timers that claim that "if one doesn't wanna move,they have ways to move one".

Again,I guess it goes back to what's accepted as proper river etiquette regionally in accordance with the style of fishing.I wouldn't presume that stepping in above another angler on a western river that's working dries would be proper neither.

Thanks to the poster for the elbow-elbow pics.I did the great lakes steelhead thing for several years while living in southern Ontario.......I needed that reminder to how lucky I am to live and fish back on the east coast once again.