+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Planning a trip to Eastern Tennessee...

Default Planning a trip to Eastern Tennessee...

I am looking for information on trout fishing in Eastern Tennessee. My Dad and I are looking at the last week in October. Neither one of us have ever been there.

We have been researching our options on guide trips, both wade and float fishing on the South Holston and the Watauga Rivers, lodging, licenses, etc.

I am sure that, among all the members of this board, there are many folks who, either fish this area on a regular basis or have visited there.

Any recommendation on guide services, lodging and any other information to make our trip enjoyable is greatly appreciated.

Replies to this thread, pm's or e-mails are all welcome.

Thanks for the help in advance,

TwoWeight

TW;
    You may have a problem in late October with the "Color Tour" traffic. The owner of Dock's Motel in Townsend told me that it could take 15 min to get out of the parking lot with all the traffic in and out of the park at that time.

Check out Little River Outfitters in Townsend. They should be able to answer all your questions.

A valid NC or TN liscense is required to fish the SMNP and a special permit is required in Gatlinburg.

Too bad you can't make it earlier and join us for the Fish-In Oct 8th - 10th.

If you fish the SoHo, call Matt and Rod at the South Holston River fly shop. Been down there and stayed on private land for a TEENY TINY fee and fished the sulphurs in early June - any more fun and it might be considered illegal! What sort of specifics do you need?

You may want to view this thread: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...lina!&p=376121 The orignal thread was about North Carolina but we kind of highjacked it to east Tennessee. We were in the GSMNP in April and hope to get back in October, too.

Blog Entries

I haven't fished the Watauga or South Holston, but by reputation it is skinny, gin-clear water with technical foshing demanding long, fine leaders (down to 7x or even 8x) and tiny flies.

Be wary of Crystal Meth cookers, dealers, and addicts. The latter especially have a reputation for smash and grab thefts from vehicles or even stealing the vehicle. Keep the VIN covered so they can't read it and have a key cut. (I HATE to have to post this about my home state, but that area has become notrious.) See the SoutheasternFlyFishingForum for additional info or to post questions.

Ed

Thanks for the replies, folks.

@EdD, I never would have dreamed that about that part of the country. The times, they are a changin', I guess.

This trip might have to be put off until next year. I'm not sure that I can get any more time off work. I guess it wasn't a great idea to ask the boss for another week off, on the day that I returned from a week off.

The worst part is, my Dad's not getting any younger, may not be many more years that he will be able to make trips like this.

We'll have to see...

Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread