+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 8', 3pc, 5w, 'Glass Rod

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default 8', 3pc, 5w, 'Glass Rod

This is one of Jim's inexpensive neon lime green blanks that he found on Ebay. It was put together with stuff I had laying around except for the hardware. I had the gold stripper and when I laid it next to the blank after painting, it had found a home. I ordered the PacBay guides and seat skeleton. The grip is my very first attempt at turning my own. I had turned it for another rod, but it came out way too small for the guy who had ordered the rod so I turned another one for his rod leaving this one homeless. The cherry insert was left over from a set that had a cherry grip as well as reel seat. I used the grip on another rod and had the insert left over.

If anyone else is building on one of these, they take a size 6 tip top.

The blank was de-glossed and wiped down, then painted with Rustoleum Universal 'Oil Rubbed Bronze' I had a kind of rough finish when dry, so I hit it with a Scotchbrite pad to smooth it out. From there, things were pretty straight forward.

Here are the final specs. Custom Painted 8', 3pc, 5w, Fiberglass w/ slow action. Gold colored PacBay A5 reel seat with cherry insert, gold framed stripper and gold PacBay single foot guides. The wraps are Olive nylon with no CP, accented with 3 turns of Copper Metallic. It is finished off with a jungle cock inlay.

Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Bass_Bug Guest

Another impressive rod Kevin!

Good work. Wish I could do as good. Thanks for the pictures of the ferrule wraps.

Tim

Very nice. If that is the same blank that was posted here a while back, I have thought about building one of those blanks now that I see one finished I think I will do it.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

Kevin,
    Beautiful! And thank you for posting your work and information. Those of us who also purchased this blank now have some excellent information. What a beautiful rod built on a $6.99 blank! You should be able to sell that for quite a profit huh?

Anywhooo.......I like the looks of that grip. I have ONE rod with a grip I like. It is a....well I am at a loss for words. It is a cylinder....TN grip? it is the same size from end to end. I like it so much I measured it with my cheap Harbor Freight digital caliper. It came out to 1.05 inches.

Now....I have not fished with it as the rod is an absolute noodle. But your grip on the green weenie looks a little more ergonomic. Could you turn one for me....without the extrea beauty built in....just cheap cork or eva or something and let me buy one from you? I have the equipment to turn one but have never used a lathe or turned anything. I got the Grizzly Hobby Lathe with the drill that fits it. Still untouched.

I am wondering if that is a grip my hand would really like. Or perhaps provide dimensions and I take a whack at it. I would rather buy one from you to get it right.

BTW on my comnputer the rod looks matte black which I would really like. And the guide wraps look black also. But that does not fit with the colors you said you used. Is my computer mis-leading me.....or is the picture exackery what it looks like in real life?

Thanks again for posting your finished rod and the information. I am quite the rookie at rod building. Haven't completely built one on my own yet. Just a wannabe. Very good of you to take pics and post your information. It sure shows off your outstanding skills and craftsmanship.

Ya know what? You're gettin' pretty good at this!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread