+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rain, rain and more rain

Hybrid View

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Default Rain, rain and more rain

Down here in Oklahoma we're been getting a LOT of rain over the last couple of days.

For those of us that fish warm water, how does that change how you fish?

Fly selection? Retrieve? Fish Depth?

I'm going out over my lunch hour tomorrow and want to see what everyone thinks before I head out.

THANKS!!!!!!
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Is that the residual of Hurricaine Alex? All I can tell you is be careful waving around that 9' lightning rod. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Jim
    Wish we had some of that rain around here. I don't think it's rained since the last week of June and it's been really hot (typical Northern Kentucky, Cincinnati summer).

Rain, especially after a hot spell, can really turn the fish on, but the associated cold front, after it passes, can flip the switch and turn them back off for a couple days.

Lightning + fishing rod + being on or around the water = high risk.

In the rain, I have good results with terrestrial stuff (SJ worms, beetles, inch worms, woolie worms, ants, etc. Pretty much anything that looks like it was washed in the lake from the rain. Also, minnow patterns work well with larger fish feeding on the smaller fish coming up closer to shore to eat the worms and stuff getting washed in.

It sometimes depends on the rain though. I've never had much results fishing during downpours (gully washers) and I won't fish during lightning storms so I don't have a clue how fishing is then.

I do like fishing in a good steady rain though (not a downpour and not just a light sprinkle). Some of my best days fishing have been using the above type patterns and walking the shore of a lake in a good rain. One benefit offishing in the rain, most of the other fishermen are gone and you'll have large areas of the lake to yourself to just walk the shore and catch fish.

Normal cautions apply - rain gear, dress warmer than you think you'll need, good shoes so you don't slip and fall, etc.

Let us know how it went.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Like Jeff, I've had some excellent days when there is just enough rain to dapple the surface. I think the combination of no bright sunshine to bother the fishes eyes combined with the a dappled water surface which makes it harder for the fish to see the fisherman results in better fishing. If you're having lots of hard rain, the water is often stained or muddy. In those cases, I switch to larger patterns tied in all black; especially for bass.

Jim Smith

Up here in Central IA, most of the rivers are running high and muddy. So no smallmouth bass fishing. Allot of the ponds and lakes have an algae bloom going on. So I have not fished as much as I like. Hopefully, in another week or two my favorite smallmouth river will be fishable. Until then I may make another trip up north to fish for trout.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

A lot of "new" water in a lake does make a difference, I think you probably need to fish a little deeper than you might otherwise, of course visibility is usually affected also. The weather system that come with the rain seem to have more of an effect than the additional water. That bluebird cloudless day following a low pressure system is great for enjoying nature, but I can't get the guy at the fish market to sell me a fish that day, must less catch one. Most of the bass fishermen I know like a falling barometer and the day before bad weather is expected. Afterward, deep, slow and close to structure seem to be the key. Of course, that's just what I have been taught and do not apply well.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Well - all bets were off today, as well as the fishing. Just around my lunch break the skies opened up and it started raining again - too hard to fish in. No thunder or lightning - just a deluge similar to what we've had over the past 2-3 days. The pond that I fish in is nearly topping over the spillway - up 12-18 inches from where it was only a week ago. Good thing is that if I'm going to use my tube anytime soon I should have enough clearance and won't have to kick through all those vegetation mats to get to clear water.

So I'm hoping for some clear skies and bluegill/bass fishing tomorrow during my girls afternoon nap time. Fortunately we have a DVR so I won't miss the Germany-Uruguay world cup game in case the fish are hitting!

I'm also VERY anxious to try out the flies that Rick Z so generously sent my way. Now I'm more determined than every to find a way to set up my bench and repay the favor.
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Like anglerdave, northeast Iowa has been getting too much rain and the rivers are running high and muddy. I haven't been able to fish either the Upper Iowa or the Turkey in 4 + weeks. Pond fishing has become boring and a few other ponds that might prove more interesting are overgrown with weeds. I am now spending some time on the gravel roads looking for photos of big bucks in velvet (gotta do something to keep from going crazy). Maybe by Tuesday the Upper Iowa will be fishable.

Rain is definitely a four letter word in south Texas right now. As far as how it has affected the fishing , it has ended it for now. Nothing but high running mud water that the fish must be lost in. But have faith , the water will get back to normal and the sun will return.

We've had a lot of rain also in south central Kansas. We've missed the worst of it in Wichita, but there's still a lot of high, muddy water. I don't fish in the rain at all in spring or summer. The lighting can come for you without warning, and I seem to attract it. I,ve never been actually hit, but I've been shocked a couple of times and others near me have also. I've had to many ''to close for comfort'' to ignore. So I stay safe indoors.

+ Reply to Thread