+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first attempt at fly tying

David,

You'd be surprised how much tying material is purchased at hobby shops and sewing centers. I get a bunch of stuff in those places. Have you priced pheasant tail feathers at a craft store? Way cheap.

That fly looks buggy as all get out, as Eric said. You've already recieved great advice from the other guys on some improvememnts. It's kind of nice to keep the first fly, then after a monhth or two of tying look back at the first one. You'll see great improvement.

Congratulations on joining in on the addiction.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Right on! I just bought a bag of pheasant feathers from Michaels, and have tied some sparrow-type wet flies with it.

I'm always impressed with everyone's "first flies". Way better than what I did.

I remember what my first fly looked like, and I still can't stop laughing about it. I decided to add some wire for weight...after the rest of the fly was done. It looked like a big tangle of wire by the time I got done, could barely see the chenille beneath. But, I took it out, used it, and caught fish on it! Gotta love bluegills!
    This probably spoiled me (catching fish on such an abomination)...and so my flies still look fairly hacked together.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

I suggest a moment of silence for another poor, hapless soul who has wandered into the morass of fly tying. Welcome!

Ed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dblackman View Post
    None of the material i used was made for fly tying actually. I picked up stuff at hobby lobby while shopping for birthday decorations for my daughter.
    David
    I use lots of stuff that supposedly wasn't 'made' for fly tying. Go to your local fly shop and look at the tiny little 2" by 4" sheets of foam for 3 or 4 bucks for a package of 3. Then go to Hobby lobby and look at the Foamies craft foam at a buck or less for an 8.5x11 sheet. (half that at WalMart) It's the same stuff! Many of the feathers are quite easy to tie with and they have all kinds of other stuff to make bugs with.

My dog thinks I am nuts for bagging the hair I clean out of her brush and save for dubbing. I get alpaca wool from one of my wife's cousins, and I follow flocks of geese through parks for the feathers.

My point is that it does not have to come from a fly shop to use it in a fly.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Sometimes it takes a lot of winds of thread to build up a snug fit under the bead. Another way is to add a touch of Crazy glue after you spot the bead where you want it. I hpe you pursue the craft. It's a lifetime hobby.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    <snip> ...I follow flocks of geese through parks for the feathers. <snip>
    Who's turn is it to throw bail for Kevin, this week.

Warm regards,
    Ed

There are many flies I want to tie and I have a couple hundred hooks, mostly various size 10's, 12, and some 14's. Most of my fishing is warm water lakes and ponds for crappie and bluegill. So I need to sit down one night and tie up a bunch of hoppers, spiders, and leaches and I saw a recipe for earthworm that looked pretty easy.
    David

I think the real telling sign of when you have gone beyond the point of no return is when you notice a dead animal on the side of the road and you get out to check on how fresh it is. I confess to having heavy scissors in my pickup to salvage squirrel tails.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Very buggy...
    But I noticed something. Is the fly as old as the date on the picture?
    "Tell me and I forget,
    Teach me and I remember,
    Involve me and I learn."

~~Benjamin Franklin~~

+ Reply to Thread