+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first attempt at fly tying

Default My first attempt at fly tying

This was my first two real attempts at fly tying. An attempt at a wooly bugger. 103_2115.jpg103_2114.jpg103_2117.jpg
    The first 2 pictures are the same fly. The body is brown chenille with pheasant hackle. I added the bead head looks and weight to get the thing to sink. The tail was made from an old stuffed animal that was found in the garage. I know its not great, but for my first time I was pretty pleased. criticism welcomed
    David
    Last edited by Dblackman; 07-09-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Blog Entries

it looks buggy, it ought to catch fish. try building up thread behind the hook eye to keep the bead from creeping forward over the eye.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

looks good. for me more tailing is needed and is the bead recessed on both sides? if not try reversing the bead. looks to me like it'd be difficult to thread a tippet and maybe the bead would hammer the tippet to breaking against rocks.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

If you can get a line through the hookeye take it fishing. There's something out there that will think, "I haven't had one of those before, looks yummy, probably tastes like chicken!"
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

It'll catch fish. Keep going and keep tying.
    Check out Al Campbell's tutorial here at FAOL.
    Good job!!!!
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

yea the bead slipped up over the eye. thanks for the advice, I will try and wrap some thread in front of the bead, thats a good idea.
    David

Very nice first attempt and like the others said, it will certainly catch fish. I suggest that you keep that fly somewhere safe and not to fish it. Tie lots more to fish with but keep first one off the vice to compare to other flies you tie after a a couple months of tying. You'll get a kick out of how much better you get in a very short time. Just one more option...

Jim Smith

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Most beads made for fly tying have one hole bigger than the other. Put the small hole toward the hook eye and it shouldn't be able to go over the eye. You can build up the area where it will go with thread or something to help keep it in place as well as building up a head in front if it's needed. Most tyers wrap three of four turns of lead or lead substitute on the shank and force it into the rear ( toward the hook bend) of the bead but if you don't have that anything that will fill the opening is better than nothing.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Hi David,

You are started and underway. Things will improve with some practice, but you have a good start.

It might be worth your time, if you haven't already done so, to look at Al Campbells tutorials on this site. It is under fly tying on the left side of the home page, click on it, and then go to beginning tying. Good advise from Al Campbell.

At any rate, good first effort. Keep it up!

Regards,

Gandolf

None of the material i used was made for fly tying actually. I picked up stuff at hobby lobby while shopping for birthday decorations for my daughter.
    David

+ Reply to Thread