+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Drier & Split Shot Questions

Default Fly Drier & Split Shot Questions

I am looking at adding a fly drier of some sort to my lanyard/pack. I have done a little research and have come across Amadou, Samadou (the synthetic version of Amadou) and the C&F Rubycell. I know that none of these are absolutely necessary, but I would like to get something. I have heard great things about Amadou, but it is pricey and extravagant. Is it really that much better than the synthetic alternatives? What about the Samadou and Rubycell? Does anyone use these options and what are your thoughts?

Also, what is your favorite split shot and what kind of dispenser would you recommend?

I use a scrap of chamois that I acquired years ago, I sewed it on to a ring and it serves me well before that I had a piece of a thin sponge dish cloth material that time and age destroyed over time.

Personally I hate split shot, at least lead, because I sling them off. But I have some B shot in a snap lid plastic box in my tube and some smaller in a rotary container they came in that I repaired with a machine screw and locknut.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Ditto on the chamois, and the shamadou is reasonably priced and effective. I never use split shot. I switched to tungsten putty years ago. It is very versatile and reusable. Also some of the states where I fish have banned small lead weights, so it also keeps me legal.

There are guys I know who swear by a small piece of ShamWow! Go figure.

Personally, I douse my flies in Watershed when I tie them and then use Shimazaki Dry Shake as needed during the day.

As for split shot, I like the non-toxic shot by Dinsmore. Comes in like 6 generally useful sizes.

+ Reply to Thread