It had been too long since I'd been to Wyoming. Nearly three years, in fact. The job situation the last couple of summers had prevented me from going, so I was really looking forward to it this time.

When I think of fishing the west, it's not the mighty, famous rivers that come to mind. The Snake? The Yellowstone? The Gallatin? Not at all. Nope, what comes to mind for me is the little bitty streams that nobody's ever heard of: the places that get overlooked even when they run right by a road. When I think of trout fishing, my mind swells with images of creeks and streams so small they shouldn't have names, even if they do.

Two years ago I took the girl who is now my wife fly fishing with me for the first time. She instantly fell in love with it. Ever since then, I've had one spot in mind where I wanted to take her. Last week, we finally made it happen.

The thing is, it almost didn't happen again this year. You see, my wife is eight months pregnant with our first child. But the doctor gave her the "OK" to go ahead and go camping/fishing, so off we went!

We made it to the mountains about noon on Thursday. We quickly set up camp and headed off toward the first creek I wanted to fish. We'll call it "Secret Creek." But first I stop and fill up the water jug. From a pipe sticking out of the side of the mountain.

Then we hit Secret Creek. It's the one coming in from the left. Yeah, the one you can't see the water on.

The widest spots on the creek are 6-8 feet wide, most holes are closer to 3 or 4 feet across. Some are more like 1 or 2. But it's absolutely chock full of brookies. You have to be stealthy though. If they see you, they're gone. If you make a poor cast, they're gone. But if you stay low, go slow, make a good cast, and work your way from the back of the pool up, you can often catch 5 or 6 fish per hole. And they'll hit anything, so you might as well throw dry flies, because, well, that's more fun...

My wife was a little out of practice, as she hadn't cast a fly rod since last summer. But she did catch one fish the first day.

I was able to get on a roll and caught several fish out of several holes in a row. Yeah, they're small, but when you can catch 30 of them in 150 yards, well, I love it...