+ Reply to Thread

Thread: do you wet wade?

Hybrid View

johnstoeckel..........these pants are are nylon and very tough and fairly quick drying http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tanypa.html

GM

Cold Guest

Once the water gets warm enough for it, I love to wet-wade. In fact, if I do go that route, my whole approach to the fishing changes. I go from waders, full vest, etc. To a t-shirt, shorts, one fly box, one spool of tippet, floatant, hemos, and nippers. On my feet I also go minimalist, donning my Vibrams and "barefooting" the streams.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...ucts_KSO_m.cfm

It doesn't take much cold to getting my old joints aching nowadays. To many rough parachute landings I guess. I usually wear waders with fleece pants under them, even in summer. Though wading glacier fed streams does get real chilly even during a heat wave.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Did it for the first time in years last season. Felt great, but sure enough, somewhere along the line my left leg got into some kind of poisonous plant. Terrible itching, then scabbing, and now scarring. Never had anything like it before.

Thankfully, my daughter didn't get in it. Had she, I never would have heard then end of it from her mom and stepmother.

Cold Guest

Ah yes, the poison ivy. I get it pretty easily. Every time I use the weed-whacker, some times that I just mow the lawn, even once (on my legs) while wearing waders (explain that one!). I've had poison ivy in mid-February with 8" of snow on the ground, got it during a week of vacation at the beach, with no poison ivy in sight, and even on a ski trip. I get it so easily that I've pretty much given up on trying to avoid it, and just kind of accept it as a necessary evil of having fun in the outdoors. A new spot of it showed up on my right forearm a few days ago...the 4th or 5th case of it this summer. Oh well. Stinging nettle is some nasty stuff too. If I'm bare-legged, I will reroute my path to the stream to avoid a thick patch.

Bamboozle & others: if you run afoul of stinging nettle, look around for some jewelweed. Crush up the stems of the plant and rub it on the affected area. It will temporarily help relieve the pain, itch, and burn of nettle...usually long enough for you to get in the water.

with the tempature over 90 for the last 4 days, I went to our beach yesterday and proceded to catch a few bass while soaking at waist level. problem is the water is very warm and feels more like bath water.
    -Jeff

Long cotton pants for the nettle, posion ivy and brairs. Vietnam jungle boots with duck tape to keep the gravel and rocks out. Beach towels and dry clothes with I get back to the truck.

Oh yeah... I know the stuff your talkin bout way to well... Never knew what it was called though... You waste no time gettin in the stream though once ya get to it!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread