Thread: Advice for choosing a guide?

Threaded View

Question Advice for choosing a guide?

I've decided to dig my fly rod out of the moth balls (it's been a couple years) and take my father on a trip to North Carolina for a couple days of fishing.

He's never used a fly rod, and I have never fished moving water, so the plan is to take a beginner class and then spend a day or two fishing, perferably all with the same guide.

There are several guides in the area, and, according to their websites, all of them are the best teachers, able to have us casting like we've been doing it for hours in only a day, and all of them are the best at showing us to some fish we can scare away.

Most of the prices are comparable, the only appreciable differences I've noticed from their websites are (1) whether they provide leaders and flies, and (2) what they serve for lunch.

I'm not averse to buying leaders and flies, and we're not picky about our bag lunches... so I'm not sure how to go about picking one.

Obviously availability could narrow it down, but, beyond that, do any of ya'll have any advise on picking a guide?

MZR

P.S.
    All of their clients' comments say that they're wonderful, too..
    Last edited by MikeZRed; 07-07-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Typing perfectionism