+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Our New Fish Cat 4 (We like them!)

Default Our New Fish Cat 4 (We like them!)

A few weeks ago I bought a couple of Fish Cat 4s. We've had them out a couple of times now and really like them. They ride a bit higher than the other belly boats we've used, the floats look taller and they have a nice seat. The higher altitude keeps our back ends out of the water and that should be helpful in colder water. The higher profile was something of a concern. On the first day out we had a fairly strong wind. We did get blown around a bit but it was manageable. Going down wind was a breeze! They only draw about 3" of water so paddling around was pretty easy. With the pump I have it only takes about 2 minutes to inflate both sides (1 minute each, I timed it). Launching was easy since they are light weight and the stripping tray comes off so you don't have to walk inside it like an inner tube. For the small lakes (40-50 acres) we are fishing they've been great.

Joe

I have had a Fish Cat 4 for about a year and a half now, and love it. There are a couple of changes I would like to make to it, I use the stripping apron from my pontoon so I can unhook one side and still have it attached, I also use it to keep my tube from floating away if I get out and wade. I would love two zipper pulls on the pockets to make them better rod holders. It is a huge improvement over my old doughnut tube. I use the D-ring on the bottom with shoulder straps and pack it up stream on the Chattachoochee on a regular basis, it can be interesting on a windy day.

You have a couple of great toys, a much better investment than going to the mental hospital.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Going to the mental hospital...?? That's a pretty stark choice ... Let's see Cat 4s or ... mental hospital? Well they do serve 3 squares at the hospital and have a great assortment of druges, on the other hand you have to put up with some "unusual" people... Soooo I guess I'll stick to the Cat 4s. ; )

A rod holder, of some kind, would be a good idea.

We used another type of float tube in Colorado last fall. The water in Steamboat lake was cold. I wish we had them that day! So I agree these are much better.

Thanks! Joe

I have two round tubes, which have served me well but the Fish Cat is a Cadillac by comparisons. I bought a dry bag that I carry a rain jacket, sometimes a long sleeve shirt for warmth, my wool sock, boots, PFD and waders until I get to where I am going. Then the waders and socks etc. are replaced with my shoes until I get back to my pick up. You may want to check the law in Indiana, Georgia says it's a boat and a PFD is required. Inflatable PFD must be worned to count. A couple of years back in my round tube, I got my feet higher than my head, I was glad I had the PFD on.

I am very cautious to reduce air pressure slightly when I place it in the back of my pickup, this is my first tube with a bladder instead of an inner tube, just something to think about to preserve the life.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Jesse,
    Indiana requires PFDs as well. I wear mine since there's not much room to store it. I'm afraid it would get knocked off and float away before I noticed. My PFD has a zipper front and it's left open. The Cat's have a lot of foam, like the seat, so I suspect they will float without much air. I don't really want to find out though. My pump is pretty good so I don't trasport or store them inflated. When I fill them I try to keep them on the soft side of full to avoid over inflation. My biggest worry is dropping the rod. That would make me very sad!

Good luck on the water & Enjoy the summer!

Joe

Get a package of Rod guards. That should help out with losing your rods. I use them for my standard rods and they are wonderful.

http://www.therodguard.com/content.asp?CID=111630

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

I love my Fishcat 4 Deluxe (has the inflatable seat)

I got a Fishin Buddy fishfinder and a holster from Cabelas that straps on the side
    and I can find structure and depths..............also fish.
    The side pockets hold extra gear snaks and a few cold beers.
    DuFf

31364.jpg
    Sage float 1.jpg

Last edited by Duffin Boy; 07-27-2010 at 03:58 PM.

I have had a FC4 for going on 3 years now. I am not sure how warm it gets out there, but my only caution is to not pump the bladders up too full - they expand with heat. The folks at Outcast recommend being able to push your thumb about an inch down for maximum pressure. I have blown a few bladders and Outcast has replaced them free of charge every time. I haven't found a better group of people when it comes to customer service than Outcast!

A PFD is required in Nebraska but is not required to be worn unless under a certain age (not sure how young). So, I strap my PFD to the carry strap at the union on the two bladders and don't mind it getting wet. It is there for the LEOs but I am a confident swimmer and I don't chance it in nasty wind.

I carry a 3lb. fold-able claw anchor on 50 ft. of parachute cord from Wal-Mart. It is light enough to pack but sturdy on the bottom I can hold still in the never-ending Nebraska 10-20 mph wind. I have carabiners on all 4 D rings to attach the anchor. Also, if you plan to keep your catch (like crappies and bluegills in my case) buy a cheap basket from Wally World and attach a floating pool noodle toy around the top. Then clip it to the carabiner and you have your catch staying fresh but not too stressed.

The area behind the seatback fits a 3 gallon bucket perfectly, too! It is the kind that Baskin Robbins or your local ice cream shop carries (they look funny when you ask, but just tell them there is less calories in the bucket than the ice cream ). I put extra supplies in there. I have noticed that bigger fish tend to get the pockets wet so I have progressed to waterproof fly boxes for all my flies.

I love my tube!!! If you have any questions or concerns, I am happy to share my thoughts. I don't have a boat, 'yak, 'toon or any other flotation device to fish out of so I fish exclusively out of my FC4. My favorite thing about my tube is getting pulled around by big fish!

Keep the float tube reports coming!

Scott

+ Reply to Thread