+ Reply to Thread

Thread: North Carolina!

Hybrid View

Default North Carolina!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Reading these forums has been giving me a ton of insights into this tricky sport for beginners and "experts". I was wondering if there was anybody on here that could give me a little "inside" information on where some of the better spots are in North Carolina? My wife and I will be visiting the"boy", well not really as it is his third year in the marines,who is at present located in Camp Legune in late september early october. We have been on numerous websites trying to decipher the plethora of information. The plan is to stay on the base for two nights visiting and then SLOWLY make our way back to the midwest. Herein lies our problem, we only have about five days to make our journey, and everything we have looked at looks magnificent. We do not have mountains in misery, oops I mean Missouri, so it all looks good. Cooler temperatures, streams that look like postcards, winding roads we are not familiar with , oh yeah and mountains. So if anybody could help us make up our mind, any and all information would be helpful and very welcome.

God Bless,
    Brian

I'm sure our folks will help you out - but in the meantime this is an "official" welcome to FAOL from management. Welcome and have fun!

Good Morning and Thank-You Ladyfisher!

Take a look at two books; Great Smoky Mountains National Park Angler's Companion by Ian Rutter and Fly Fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park: An Insider's Guide to A Pursuit of Passion by Jim Casada. The books cover the North Carolina and Tennessee sides of the park. The park is a wonderful place to fish. There are lots of places and it is available as it is public land. And, Welcome.

Hey Brian,

To add to what Bill said -- a great place to stay if you decide on the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is Townsend, TN. Its "the quiet side of the Smoky's" so there aren't as many tourists, but its VERY close to some terrific fly fishing. I can recommend Dock's Motel. And, if you do decide to stop there -- give me a shout. Its only a 45 - 50 minute drive from my house. Be glad to meet up with you. Little River Outfitters is just down the street and they can provide all the scoop about the waters and flies.

Oh yeah... if the wife isn't into fishing or hiking this is still an ideal location. A quick trip through Wear's Valley and she'll be in the middle of Pigeon Forge and two or three outlet malls (if she's into shopping).

John

Billhouk thank-you for the great titles I will be checking the city library today! John thanks for the TN advice, we do like the quieter places. The beer-bong days are far behind us! As for the hotel advice we prefer to "rough-it" in our pop-up. The wife says there is no choice between fishing and shopping, it is definitely fishing. Yes it would be nice to meet a friendly with advice and knowledge! Will let you know. By chance are you familiar with the cost of an out of state fishing license with a trout stamp, or is a stamp even required? Once again thank-you both for the advice!

bbq---You will be very close to the time the False Albacore are in at Cape Lookout/ Beaufort/ Morehead City. (just a short trip to the north)

10 wt action thats tough to match. Its charterboat fishing and most guides will have a rod that they can provide for you. I'll be there toward the end of October.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

+ Reply to Thread