+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Favorite 4wt

Hybrid View

Default Favorite 4wt

HI
    I'm looking for a 4wt to be used on small and mid sized streams. Any suggestions.
    Thanks
    Dave

I have an 8' St Croix Legend Ultra (pre IPC) 2 piece 4wt that I LOVE! I bought it here (used) as a compliment to my 8' 2pc 3wt LU, which is my "go to" rod for panfish & stream trout. Those rods are outstanding. They cast well in wind, are sensitive, AND St Croix is an FAOL Sponsor. I now own 3 St Croix LUs & will own more in the future. Check them out.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

I have a Temple Forks 7'6" 4wt that I love - and they are a hell of a value.
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

You are going to get as many answers as there are folks fishing 4 weights. I have a Sage xp 486 4 that I love but it is the only 4 weight I own so of course it is my favorite. Best thing to do is to go to your local fly shop if you have one and try a few out. If you don't have a fly shop handy I might suggest joining a local fly fishijng club and try the membership's rods. What I am getting at is you need to put a few different rods in your own hands to see which one is right for you.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Blog Entries

Batson F764-5: 7'6" 5 piece 4 weight. I've built a few, and it is a nice little rod.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I have three 4wts and they're all favorites
    However, I've fished my Lamiglass 'honey' for 35 years and it's still a favorite
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by spike-2 View Post
    HI
    I'm looking for a 4wt to be used on small and mid sized streams. Any suggestions.
    Thanks
    Dave

Can you give more information? I mean a tfo finese could be good, a sage zxl could be good, a hardy marvel boo could be good, what are you looking for? It is like someone buying a car for there kid. A 70's vw bug that is reliable and gets good gas mileage might be the answer, or bmw might be the answer. If someone can cast, and it is only a creek, a $30 walmart special might be a good choice if funds are low. If one is a billionaire a $2000 boo might be the answer.

What is your pricepoint? For lowish end I would say a tfo finese, for higher end a sage zxl

Went fishing this last weekend and almost broke my Redington RS3 4wt over my knee. I have a serious hate for that rod, and will be getting rid of it, soonest. Is way to slow for me. That being said, I love my Fenwick 4wt. It's a two piece, so harder to travel with, but it is going to be my only 4 wt soon, because it is my fave.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread