+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slough Creek Solo

Default Slough Creek Solo

I am looking at going to the NE corner of Yellowstone to fish Slough Creek (2nd Meadow) and some of the other rivers in that area (Lamar, Sodo Butte, Cache Creek). I understand that this is definitely bear country. Is it safe to day hike and fish solo as long as you are on high alert and carry bear spray? Or should it only be done on the buddy system? Is it advisable or not? Thanks.

You should have plenty of company up on Slough Creek (Lamar/Soda Butte too); if you're worried about bears just don't be the first one up or last one down the trail, bring your bear spray, make lots of noise, common sense stuff. Same think on Lamar/Soda Butte; bigger issue on Lamar for me has always been working around the herds of bison and wolf spotters. Whether it's advisable or not is up to how comfortable you are; I fish solo there and (knock on wood) haven't had any problems.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 07-06-2010 at 11:16 PM.

In Death in Yellowstone Lee H Whittelesey lists hiking alone in the backcountry as one of the most common factors in deaths in the park. If something does go wrong you have no back-up and can die or suffer major damage from a relatively minor injury. I know that it is done and I would myself enjoy doing it but you should be aware of the risk.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

That really isn't back country (we fished it last summer). If you at all nervous carry bear spray and Chernobyl ants *S*.

I fished that area solo extensively the summer that I worked in the park. Just take bear spray, don't sneak up on anything, basically all the usual precautions. I second the Chernobyl ant recommendation. Madam X, Convertibles, your hopper of choice paired with a dropper (prince, hare's ear) will all produce. You can effectively sight cast in slough creek. My advice is to get up early and hike in to the second meadow (about 3-4 miles if I remember correct). Bring plenty of water and snacks and stay there the whole day; there is plenty of water to explore.

I fish those areas extensively every September and October. I have had 3 bear encounters ( 2 while fishing the Lamar) . I have therefore established a hard and fast rule. I will NEVER fish solo ANYWHERE where bears may be present . Reasoning by deduction that because one has had 999 eventless excursions therefore the next one will be same makes NO sense to me. A bear encounter is not an OOPPPSSSS !!! situation. It could well be a matter of life or death. Fishing with a partner is also NO guarantee of safety but it does lessen the odds of an unfavorable occurance. There are more safety measures BUT those are up to you. These thoughts are my personal opinion based on my experience. They work for me.

Mark

7. Default

4 of the last 6 years I have spent 3 nights on Slough and 3 nights on Cache each trip. On Slough we have had both a black bear and a grizzly encounter. Once we had a grizzly walk right into our campsite on 2nd meadow first thing in the morning. It sniffed around for ten minutes and left. I was surprised how it jumped over fallen trees without making a sound. We have also saw a grizzly in the hills above Cache. We have seen black bears two different times on Lamar.

If you go you need to follow the park's recommendations. I always have my pepper spray on me but have never used it. You have to keep a very clean campsite.

While the Ladyfisher states 'it isn't really backcountry' she is not talking about hiking in the meadows. She is talking about fishing below the campground. Hiking anywhere off the road in Yellowstone always carrys the possibility of running into something that you don't expect. I would recommend hooking up with some other anglers before hiking into the backcountry. Make certain that several people know where you are going and when you plan to return. Carry bear spray - and KNOW HOW TO USE IT.

It's a long hike in up to the second meadow and longer yet into the third, where you'll find MUCH less company and in my experience more bears. Hiking that far alone in YNP is not smart, period. The Death in Yellowstone book (one of my all-time favorites, macabre as that may be) serves up too many prime examples of this.

However, having done some backcountry hiking in YNP, I'd advise that you take bear spray (duh) AND an EPIRB if you can afford one, along with a GOOD first aid kit. WEAR A COWBELL ON YOUR BELT OR BELT STRAP! Lets the fauna know you're coming - they'll hear it from a good distance.

Be prepared to seek shelter quickly when those afternoon T-storms pop up. Be cautious and aware of your surroundings.

Just talk loudly as you go. I fished solo in bear country last week, and the only bear I saw was moving away from me, as I had been pretty constantly talking/yelling to myself and the bears.

+ Reply to Thread