+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lure hitting rod?....a casting technique

Hybrid View

Default Lure hitting rod?....a casting technique

I read somewhere lately, some concerns about poppers and big streamers whacking the fly rod. Maybe the belgian cast would help.

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techniques/lord_belgian.aspx

If the fly is hitting the rod tip you're probably lowering the rod tip from the target line during the cast. (There are many
    causes of this. If you're casting relatively square to the target, unlike Lefty Kreh with your back foot well behind your front,
    these defects might be causing your problem:
    1. Pulling your elbow back. (Your elbow should move back because of your rearward body rotation. To me, making a back cast is more of a lifting or a flexing up motion than a pulling back.) 2. Beginning your forward cast with your elbow behind your rod hand, and therefore being unable to lead with your elbow during your loading move. 3. Breaking your wrist more than halfway during your forward-cast power snap. (To prevent this, try to pretend you’re hammering a nail.) 4. Lowering, instead of just rotating, your shoulders. 5. Stopping the rod too late. (This sometimes happens because of starting your weight shift before your casting stroke, or because of quickly accelerating your back cast, but not abruptly stopping the rod with a short, upward motion.) 6. Beginning your cast with your rod hand too low for your intended trajectory. (For example: if you want to execute a cast parallel to the surface, you must finish your back and forward casts with your rod hand at the same level.) 7. Casting with your elbow too far out from your body. 8. Having your right foot too far back or pointing too far outward.

If the fly is hitting you or the butt of the rod you might be waiting for the line to unroll during your back cast. The fly will then
    "bounce" and you'll have slack in the line and you're forward cast will be underpowered.

Randy

Jim- I've used some form of the Belgian for many years when casting big weighted nymphs. The circular path of the rod tip keeps the sharp hunk-o'-lead away from the rod, and the back of my head. And timing is way less critical, too.

Chuck

Randy, Excellent explanation! Thank You.
    Hugs,
    LF

Blog Entries

Is it just me or did Randy's explanation sound a lot like a golf pro telling you what is wrong with your swing?

OMG! IT'S WATER GOLF!!!!
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

IMHO, one of the advantages of casting like Lefty Kreh is that you'll have less chance of hitting your rod tip with the fly, but you'll also not be able to
    change casting trajectories.

In my mind, when trying to make long-distance casts technique becomes important, just like hitting a driver in golf.

Randy

+ Reply to Thread