+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is a good age to get your child started in ff?

Default What is a good age to get your child started in ff?

My wife tells me that over the last several months when I am away at work my son daily brings up fishing. He tells her that he is going to go fishing with dad and grandpa (or pappa as he calls him). I tell him all the time that this May when we go up to the Sierra's, that he can go fishing with me and grandpa. I also read to him from the various ff & ft magazines I receive as well as some books on the subject. His attention span seems to be longer with the topic of fishing over childrens books.

My son just turned 2 years old last Saturday. I figured at this age it would be best to start him off with bait or lure fishing. I can't believe I wrote that - please forgive me! What is a good age to get a child started in ff?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I think it really depends on the kid, my 5 year old still has problems with a Spincast, I'm not ready to dodge a flyrod yet. I'm thinking for him 7 might be better maybe a longer attention span

You might read through a past thread for some thoughts:

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015187.html:f9870]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015187.html[/url:f9870]

There are never to young to learn

This is my 2 year old.. and he goes fishing with me all the time.. he does still need a little help holding a the rod... but really soon he's going to out fish the ol'man

That is one of the most incredibly precious pictures I've seen in a long time!!

The child will let you know when he/she's ready. They'll be like velcro while you're fishing. Offer up a rod (short/light) and let 'em have at it ... spin or fly ... and don't be critical. You'll be surprised how quickly they'll catch on by letting them do their own thing. You'll have a fishing buddy for life!!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Wether or not she was listening I explained each part of the rod I was building to my 6 month old, and showed her each individual piece before I put it on. I've yet to explain tying to her. But that will come in time. I'm a bit hesitant bringing a hook within her arms reach.

I have experience trying to get kids my age (15) into fishing, and you just can't force it. THey either like it or they don't

You can lead a 3 year old to a 3 weight but you cant make him cast it

As soon as you know your wife is pregnant start reading "A River Runs Through It" and any Gierach, lyons, Sparse Hackle etc genre books to the baby. After they are born be sure to play the sound of a river or brook beside their cribs. Take them with you as early as possible in a papoose bag and let them see the joy that fly fishing brings. When they are about three get them a 6 foot two weight and get them going. By the time they are 5 you should be able to cut down some hip waders for them and glue on some rubber booties. Get them interested in gear early, on birthdays give them something they can grow into. My only regret in life is that I did not start early enough. But then my father was not a fisherman.

Here in Ontario, Canada they have a family fishing day where you can go and children get a free rod, tackle and a bunch of other cool stuff. It is usually put on around a marina or something like that where there are a lot of little pan fish and the like. I took my 2 nephews who were 3 and 7 and they absolutely love catching the fish. The only problem I had was getting them to kiss thier first fish.

+ Reply to Thread