+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How deep to you fish for bluegill?

Hybrid View

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Default How deep to you fish for bluegill?

hey folks - I'm in a bit of a quandary. The only time I can really get away and fish is over my lunch hour and I'm fly fishing from shore and have to cast out 10-15 ft past the vegetation to hit open water.

As you can imagine this presents it's own set of challenges. I'm thinking about tying a rope onto a garden rake tossing it out there and dragging it back to "rake" out a couple of clearings. But that's another posting.

Back to fishing. Since the sun is high, I know that the fish are not hitting anything on the surface but are holding and eating further down in the water column.

Just curious...
    1 - How deep do you fish for Bluegill when they are not feeding at the surface?
    2 - What methods are you using to get your flies down to them? Split shot? Weighted flies?
    3 - What are you using for a strike indicator?

Thanks for all your help - still trying to figure out this warm water thing!
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

hey!
    i read in the sports afield almanac that people do use rakes to open up areas. it also causes a feeding frenzy according to them. they say it releases micro organisms that fish feed on....who knows but i think you should try it. i know when fly fishing for large bass i look for break ups in vegetation because it usually means a large fish is using it as a channel! it seams to work. i try to fish as deep as i can in high sun. i use bead heads and seems to get me in the zone. im usually about 6-8 ft.
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

It sounds like the weedline might actually be a good place for you to fish. I would consider tying up all black cap spiders http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-ti...ishing-169727/ and let them drop about 2 feet outside the weedline. This is an excellent pattern for summertime bluegill, easy to tie and very productive. I would of course also try an all black leech pattern tied on a size 10 hook with several wraps of wire undedr the body for weight. Let us know what works for you and how you do.

Jim Smith

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Hey James - thanks for the note.

The real problem with fishing deep on the other side of the weed bed is it's a real tussle to try and lift them up over the weeds and slide them across the top to shore. The deeper I fish, the harder it is to get them up and over. Once they are on the weeds I just have to pull back and slowly horse them through, all the time wondering if I shouldn't have changed my tippet the previous cast!

That's a great pattern - I'm working on finding a place to get my bench set up. We don't have a basement in the house we moved into here in Oklahoma so that extra space is all used up for now. But I hope to find a secretary's desk that I can use for a scaled down version and tuck it in a corner somewhere.

I'll try raking some weeds out and let you know how it goes...

thanks!

Jim
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Dragging a rake will help to clear a area to fish, but it will also stir the insects that live in the weeds and cause them to feed. As for depth I normally start about 1' and work my way down, with wieghted flys. I don't like to use split shot around weeds it just gets hung in weeds. Good luck post a pic of what you catch. And for a strike idicator I have have had very good luck with the Thinga ma bobs in 1/2" size they just need a good butt section of leader and they will stay where you put them.
    Last edited by steveks; 07-02-2010 at 02:12 PM.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

In response to the strike indicator question. When fishing for warm water fish I use some sort of popper. I used to use a hookless indicator but after having a LMB smash my indicator I switched. It has paid off a couple of times.

Tim

+ Reply to Thread