+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to use for really small fish on tiny streams.

Default What to use for really small fish on tiny streams.

In recent months I've been fishing some tiny mountain streams. Trout are small but abundant and the landscape is just glorious.

However, my 8' 5wt is way to big for those.

What would you recommend?

I've been looking at Global Dorber. They carry some really short rods!!!

Looking forward to your replies!

Dave.

Dave, I use an 8.5' 3(?) weight on my streams here in Wyoming so I won't be of much use. I find it easy to reach over logs, bushes, etc. also to reach around stuff also.
    I have a Cabelas Three Forks three piece rod, 7.5' that is my backup rod, it stays in the truck for when I get an urge but forgot the other rod. My first true fly rod was an 8 weight!! in 9' lenght.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by dphotoco View Post
    In recent months I've been fishing some tiny mountain streams. Trout are small but abundant and the landscape is just glorious.

However, my 8' 5wt is way to big for those.

What would you recommend?

I've been looking at Global Dorber. They carry some really short rods!!!

Looking forward to your replies!

Dave.
    By "to big" do you mean the length of the rod or the line weight? My assumption is you are talking about rod length.

I use a 6'6" 2 weight in graphite and a 7'6" fiberglass rod in a 3 weight. Both are fun rods with small fish.

I would use as long of a rod as you think is possible.

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

hey Dave - I ran into the same thing in the Black Hills...it's great scrambling over boulders chasing those rascals, but my 8'6" was useless. Didn't help to cast from my knees, either.

I bought a Temple forks outfitters 6' 2wt for under $100 and absolutely love it. Great action and spring to get those small flies up stream without spooking the fish. It's my 3rd TFO rod and I love every one.

Plus they are a FAOL Sponsor as well so you can't go wrong!
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Thx for your replies, guys!

Well,

I'm talking about the rod length. It's bushy up there and the 8' rod proves useless in many situations. As for line weight that'll be something I'm expecting to get advise for... I guess a 1wt will make those 100 gram trout feel like a tarpon! But I've never even seen a 1wt line, so I don't know nothing about them. Is it harder to cast a lightweight line like that one? What about roll casting it?

What about tenkara rods?

Dave.

I use an 8' 6" 4wt in GSMNP. Seems to be very good on the "larger" little streams.

Quote Originally Posted by dphotoco View Post
    As for line weight that'll be something I'm expecting to get advise for... I guess a 1wt will make those 100 gram trout feel like a tarpon! But I've never even seen a 1wt line, so I don't know nothing about them. Is it harder to cast a lightweight line like that one? What about roll casting it?
    The "never even seen a 1wt" brings up a good point -- lines less than a three weight aren't necessarily easy to find. You're local shop isn't likely to have them in stock.

I've got a couple of 6' 2wts that I love for small streams. There's no harder (in fact maybe easier) to cast than heavier rods, and roll cast ok, but being 6 footers they don't roll cast quite as well as a longer rod would. OTOH, on the streams where I fish them, I seldom need to roll cast (or make any cast) more than about 15', so it's not really a factor. Line control is, of course, a bit harder as well. Just based on line availability though, I now personally won't buy a rod less than a three weight.

It really boils down to personal preferences. I won't want to be stuck in some of the rhododendron jungles where I fish with a rod over 7'; others find that the advantages of a longer rod in roll casting and line control outweigh the disadvantages.
    Last edited by redietz; 07-01-2010 at 03:22 AM.
    Bob

Cold Guest

I fish a 6'9" 1wt in those situations. Its a custom, built on a TFO Finesse blank. Got a Sage DT1F line on it and after fishing small streams with a 7'9" 3wt and a 7'0" glass 4wt, I'm convinced the light mod-fast graphite 1wt is THE rod for small streams and trout under 14".

I don't really like the glass on those truly small streams. The soft slow action requires lots of room for back casts, which you simply won't have.

I also use a 6'9" 1wt. TFO Finesse. It's the best Brookie, and native Cutthoart rod I have. I use a Rio LT wf1f on it.

Rod length shouldn't be dependent on fish size and only indirectly dependent on stream size.

For example, I fish some very narrow streams in Wisconsin with high banks and high weeds but the typical trout may only be 7". A 9' rod is good to keep my back cast high and out of the grass.

On the other hand, I fish a wider stream in Illinois for creek chub and bluegills. That stream, though, is heavily canopied. A smaller rod makes sense to stay under the branches.

+ Reply to Thread