+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mysterious Line Break--Muskie Encounter?

Hybrid View

Default Mysterious Line Break--Muskie Encounter?

My 12-yr old daughter was flyfishing at our local pond using her 5 wt flyrod. She told me that something was playing with both her line and her fly, a size 16 Adams Irresistible. It would suck down her fly so she would recast. After doing that about the 5th time, she said there was a huge splash and a "bubble" over her fly line--not the leader or the tippet or fly...the fly line. She went to recast...and no line. What she managed to pull back was cut, clean and had little "pinhole" bite marks all over the tip. She lost about 20' of her fly line.

We suspect that it was a Tiger Muskie. According to DOW, there are a few in the ponds and they can get pretty large. She was saying 36+".

I've never fished for Muskie...but ohhhh man...they have to be fun.

What is a good setup for these fish aside from a good steel leader? Fishing technique? Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.
    Teri

The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace of God will not protect you.

I have never caught a muskie on a fly rod and only caught them on "regular gear" when I wasnt fishing for them. But muskie is a VERY aggresive fish. When hooked they will fight themselves to death quicker than any other fish I have ever caught. I actually used to raise tiger muskie when I was able to buy the babies, but I cant find them anymore.When they got to big for me I would just give them to local aquariums. They really are a beautiful fish, but will eat anything in their path. I have caught them on live goldfish, minnows. chunks of blue gill. Steel leader wouldnt be a bad idea. but a real heavy braided spiderwire will usually do the trick.
    David

Wow what an encounter.

I have seen fishermen use what looks like small baseball bats painted as fish with hooks on them. They are eating machines. I think I read somewhere that a mouse / rat pattern works.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

There are a few fishers here in Ontario that particularly go after muskie and pike. The 5wt rod might be a little light - an 8wt would be better. 8" or 10" streamers on a size 2 hook would be the lure of choice, and a muddler head on it wouldn't hurt for water vibrations. Primarily the fly should be synthetic so it sheds water on the pick-up and is lighter to cast. The one thing that most don't say is that the retrieve has to be fast to excite the fish. Going so far as to put the rod under your arm and retrieve with both hands (hand over hand), so longer casts are helpful. Good luck - take the camera.

This fishing experience was the STRANGEST thing I have ever encountered. I have an 8wt that might work and will pick up some **eeek!!** larger streamers. At present, my daughter is laughing at me saying I'm probably going to take my head off casting one that large.

However, what you mentioned about retrieving fast...that would make a LOT of sense. Both my son and myself are slow retrievers. But as I watched her, she was retrieving probably 2-3 times faster than we were. She figures she probably made it angry...lol.

Thanks for the help...and if anyone else has any suggestions, I would sure be happy to listen. I'll remember to take some gloves and my ketchum tool to get my fly, just in case.
    Teri

The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Erie High Ball View Post
    Wow what an encounter.

I have seen fishermen use what looks like small baseball bats painted as fish with hooks on them. They are eating machines. I think I read somewhere that a mouse / rat pattern works.

Small baseball bats...LOL.
    Teri

+ Reply to Thread