+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Casting Cluser type flies

Default Casting Cluser type flies

Hello everybody,
    Last time I fished the surf I hit the tip of my fly rod with a Clouser and it left a pretty noticeable damage, I'm getting a new rod (Red Water on sale at my local fly shop) and I was wondering if you guys have any pointers on how to avoid this. I've been fly casting for a good while but fishing for freshwater species I didn't throw a lot of Clousers or fished conditions like the ones at the beach. Corbinas are getting pretty active and pretty aggressive so I want to catch them on the fly.
    Thanks
    I believe I can fly fish

I learned this from Bob Clouser himself

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/t...d_belgian.aspx
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I have never hurt my rod but I took a good thwack to the back of the head a few times. Like dudley posted I moved my cast to the side almost like skipping a stone just a little higher.

Sean
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

it's called "chuck and duck". applies to all heavily weighted ties. maybe a crash helmet and body armor is the safe way to go.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Normand Guest

sloooowwww the casting stroke down.

Check out whether you have a tailing loop or a crossing loop in your normal cast.
    Both will crash into the rod if the cast is perfectly vertical. Tilt the rod to the side to avoid the crash.
    Try my tip in the forum " Learning Experience... Casting Tip. It will help most eliminate the tailing loop or the swaying loop.
    Last edited by hairwing; 06-30-2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: sp
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Try this: At the forward cast stop, also rotate your wrist counterclockwise-not much, just enough so your thumb finishes pointing at about 10 o'clock. This seems to get the rod tip out of the way, and produce a better turn over.

Great. Next time (most likely Sunday morning) I will practice a bit before fishing.
    Thanks a lot guys
    I believe I can fly fish

Martin,
    I thought I had posted info to you on the Belgian cast....to try to keep Clousers from banging your rod. As I read this thread I see I failed to do so. What I can find today on it is this:

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/t...d_belgian.aspx

I think there is a video of it somewhere but I don't know how to find it for the moment.

Anywhoooo.....here 'tis in case it helps any.

Again thanks for the Peacock herl you sent me. Grateful.

Hey Gemrod, it's been a while. Thanks for the info, I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance tho last time I fished I had no problem casting weighted flies. I guess I got use to it. Hope everything is well.
    I believe I can fly fish

+ Reply to Thread