+ Reply to Thread

Thread: a lesson on life and $ from a forgotten fly rod

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Lightbulb a lesson on life and $ from a forgotten fly rod

Just some thoughts I thought I'd share in hope that it may benefit someone else as well.

Since I have begun to learn about fly-fishing, it has seemed to me that everyone always make a big deal about the rod. New rods are advertised everywhere, with new-fangled technology that I don't understand... if you're new to fly fishing, I recommend that you just ignore all that. This is why...

I went to go fly-fishing the other day and it was slightly windy, so I brought along my spinning rod & reel that I had purchased from wal-mart for a grand total of $40. I fished for about a half hour when the wind calmed down and the lake turned glassy. I hurried excitedly back to my car to get out my fly rod but was utterly disappointed to realize that I had left my fly rod at home, 40 minutes away, and as I had to be home in about 90 minutes, I didn't have time to go back and get it. I could have just kept fishing with my bass rod but I'm stubborn - I wanted to fly fish. So I thought a little bit. Despite forgetting the rod, I had brought my fly reel and line all spooled up on it. And I had A rod, not a fly rod, but a rod nonetheless. The idea occurred to me to experiment a little. Will a fly reel fit on a bass rod? - I'll give away the ending to you, it does! I tightened the reel on, put the line through the guides, attached a fly, and off I went! It wasn't pretty at first, and it took some getting used to, but after 20 minutes I was casting that line just as far as I ever had on my fly rod!

I think I learned a valuable lesson about spending money and about life.

Regarding money - if you're new to fly fishing and going to buy your first outfit, my advice is to stay well within your budget and buy a used rod, or a rod that is the color you like, and feels good in your hand. Then get a reel that fits well with the rod and the best line you can afford.

I'll draw a parallel between this and photography, a topic I know much more about than fly-fishing. To me, there is a huge difference between a $150 point-and-shoot camera, and a $1000 Nikon DSLR, not only in price, but also in output and the creative possibilities that the more expensive camera provides, features that a novice photographer wouldn't be able to appreciate. (Side note: If you don't know what DSLR means, don't buy one. You'll probably just end up frustrated and possibly discouraged from taking pictures.) But the money is only worth it to the extent that I can appreciate what it provides. if I can't take good pictures with cheap camera then what good is an expensive one? Not even the most high-tech camera in the world will take good pictures on its own.

I will probably never own a $600 fly rod - I don't need it to enjoy the experience. I do, however, own a Nikon DSLR and enjoy every picture I take with it.

What I learned about life -

I think my inexperience served me well here. In my undiscriminating mind, I had a reel and I had a rod, all I needed to do was put them together. Had I been an experienced fly angler, I doubt that it would have occurred to me to mount the fly reel on my bass rod. Of course, it didn't feel the same as my fly rod, and I don't intend to fish that way on a regular basis, but it was a good reminder to me to be aware of what I assume and to question those assumptions - and to not let my experience or knowledge actually hinder me or limit the possibilities.

Karli-Rae
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, I have found what you said to be true as well, take time to enjoy...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

That theory hold true in many things.
    I know a guy who loves to shoot sporting clays. he uses an old 870 field grade and will out shoot most of the guys with the several thousand dollar custom built guns. It's all in the technique and practice.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Blog Entries

I will probably never own a $600 fly rod - I don't need it to enjoy the experience.--AlbaSurf
    But when you go to a fly shop with the intention of getting a rod a little better than your "beginner," watch out! i spent one summer learning on a $19.95 Eagle Claw and had a ball. then my birthday came. I went to the fly shop, where someone had set aside a Winston leaning on the counter. just for laughs i asked to try it out. oh. my. goodness. there was simply no question of not getting it! it's been my pride and joy ever since, and i have even more fun fishing.

you're right: when you know enough to know the difference, it's time to upgrade.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

i totally agree with this. i started out with a fairly cheap starter flyrod my father got me for christmas. i broke it because i picked it up the wrong way. then i inherited a bamboo Orvis battenkill rod from my Grandfather. i did not break that one. then i was casting with a 6 piece backpacking flyrod of my dads, and somehow broke it, so i decided that i needed an inbetween. i searched, and "Clay" led me to an awesome deal for a 3 weight rod that was marked 66 percent down, and i got it for 100 bucks. BEST DEAL EVER. i have cast with the repaired backpacking rod, and the action is soooooo different, i dont want to go back. but until u experience the mediocre, u cant appreciate the exceptional. and i know that my $100 rod isnt EXCEPTIONAL, but the Battenkill is, and i use them in different situations. for example, on my likely LAST fishing trip with my grandfather, i used the Battenkill, becuase it is a connection point, but on my fishing trip with Michael E, i used the other.

so, yes, experience does effect knowledge, know-how, and feeling for quality. good subject Alba Surf. very good subject

Jordan

Agreed....no reason to lose your mind on fly fishing gear like many of us have:^) But it is sure alot of fun. LOL!

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyP View Post
    But when you go to a fly shop with the intention of getting a rod a little better than your "beginner," watch out! i spent one summer learning on a $19.95 Eagle Claw and had a ball. then my birthday came. I went to the fly shop, where someone had set aside a Winston leaning on the counter. just for laughs i asked to try it out. oh. my. goodness. there was simply no question of not getting it! it's been my pride and joy ever since, and i have even more fun fishing.

you're right: when you know enough to know the difference, it's time to upgrade.
    I think that Casey makes a good point that a comparison between a $20 rod and a $600 rod will come out massively in favor of the more expensive rod. The difference between a $100-150 dollar rod and the $600 rod gets much smaller very quickly. In fact, if you select your rod carefully, the difference can negligible for many anglers. Some anglers even prefer the cheaper rod because because the ultra-fast tip, high-priced rods tend to be very unforgiving of less than perfect casting. For me. the "bang for the buck" rods fall in the middle price range. Now let me say if you can afford a $1,200 graphite rod or a $3,000 bamboo and fishing such a rod brings you joy and pleasure, I have no argument with you at all. All I'm saying is that rods with excellent casting characteristics may be found in the more moderate price ranges.

BTW, I was casting my grandfather's yellow glass Eagle Claw (circa 1950) the other day and with a few small adjustments in my timing, it was laying out some pretty good line.

I'm sure others will disagree but consider the opinion in the light of what you paid for it. 8T

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post

BTW, I was casting my grandfather's yellow glass Eagle Claw (circa 1950) the other day and with a few small adjustments in my timing, it was laying out some pretty good line.

I'm sure others will disagree but consider the opinion in the light of what you paid for it. 8T
    I don't disagree in the slightest.

Two years ago on a trip to Montana I only shipped my one favorite bamboo rod.
    Big mistake!! Second day I hooked a locomotive-like rainbow. The rod splintered slightly above the mid ferrule.
    I still think it was my fault but nonetheless the damage was done. There I was without a rod. My brother-in-law, a non-fisherman called his brother and arranged for me to borrow the only fly rod he owned, an old Eagle Claw glass rod.
    Well, for the next couple of days I fished it. The action was terrible but I was determined to make it work. Caught a bunch of fish and bolstered my ego to no end. I figured if I could catch fish with that rod, I could catch 'em with a crappie cane pole.

I suppose you could say you can catch fish with about anything that will throw a fly line?
    It's, in my opinion, a lot more fun to catch 'em with a smooth casting rod and that does not have to be a "break-the-bank" one!!

Bob
    Last edited by bobbyg; 11-29-2010 at 11:01 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

+ Reply to Thread