I got my rods for free. they are hand me downs from my forebears. a herter's fiberglass fromteh fifties that I use religiously, a shakespeare ugly stik frommy father, and amartin cheap set that my dad bought for giggles because mymom forgot her rod at home.

A couple of months ago my father, who hasbeen fly fishing for about fifty years has graduated up to a gorgeous sage 3wt. I use my fiberglass four weight. the river had swelled and my dad forgot his wader boots. he couldn't get into the river and so we went to one ofmy usual fishing spots.

Shore stalkingwith my dad is an experience I will nevr forget. my son and I avidly stalk the shoreline for bass, trout, blue gills, you name it. but when it came time for is to fish the still waters, my dad only hadcomplaints. " This setup is only for small streams! you need a bigger rod to fish this and those crappy wet flies..." then along comes this skrawy old man with a "000" rod that abou five feet double hauling itout to the backing who looked at my father and asked him " Son, it's a sage, it can do the job far better than that crappy ole fiberglass that kid over there isout casting you with. " my dad quit and waited in the car.

Score one fo rhte fity dollar outfit the oldman had, the 20 bucks on the four weight line I had, and for my son who said to my dad at breakfast at waffle house. " Maybit's a good thingyou didn't teach my dad how to fly fish...."