+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ALL FISH - ALL WATER - Ladyfisher - June 28, 2010

Blog Entries

Default ALL FISH - ALL WATER - Ladyfisher - June 28, 2010

ALL FISH - ALL WATER

We were visiting with a fly fishing friend the other evening and the phrase trout snob came up. In fact, the person accused my husband Trav of being a trout snob. The truth is he is. He has no interest in fishing for salmon, for blue gills, walleye or anything else. (Now if we end up spending some winter time in Florida he'll probably find fishing for redfish and snook can be great fun too, but he hasn't tried it yet.)
    Last edited by rtidd; 06-27-2010 at 10:51 PM.

That is why I fish the for the things that are in the ponds around here.
    Evedry fish that gets on the end of the line is fun.

Rick

I know you wouldn't guess it from my posts and the few articles I've written, but I too travel for trout occasionally, but I've found that any fish that will take a fly (and almost all of them will once you find the right fly) has something to offer. Whether it's the beauty and spunk of little longears and brookies, the savage all-out airborne fight of tarpon, the delberate "I can pull harder than you can" persistence of drum and catfish, or the dizzying spin of a big bluegill, every species from carp to cutthroats has its unique charm that makes it worth pursuing. Lucky for me so many different ones are close to home where I get to chase them all.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Having travelled a bit in the military, I've learned the old adage of "when in Rome.....", because if you don't you will get in very little fishing. So.....I bought a float tube and hit the local ponds for bluegills. Or tossed streamers for pickerel. Regardless of what you "prefer"......take advantage of what you "got" first:^) It's all a great time.

I had a friend one time when I asked him fishing say...."nagh, ain't nuthin in those streams this time of year, but whitefish!". So I went without him and caught about 30 whitefish with #18 GRHE's on a sunny winter day. I know I had more fun than he did:^)
    Last edited by NJTroutbum; 06-28-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Blog Entries

Spot on, spot on! The main reason I don't fish for Atlantic Salmon is that they are over a thousand miles away. If they were in the rivers here I am sure that they'd be quite popular.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

As you mentioned the short life of Warmwater Fly Fishing magazine was a real bummer. Living in Florida and a freshwater fisherman I really enjoyed the publication. Never realized that you may be right about why is ceased publication; I always thought it was lack of readership. Too bad as it is sorely missed by a large number of fly fisherman.

+ Reply to Thread