+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Czech Nymphing

DEcevR
    Check out Oliver Edwards DVD on tying and fishing a Czech nymph. Small fly, lightly weighted and cast as a regular nymph is cast and fished.
    Also:
    Basically just a short catchy phrase for 'short line nymphing', but then it would be harder to sell to the public as something new.

FlyGoddess:

You will want the fastest possible rod for that sort of nymphing application. Try to get the fastest possible 4 weight that you can in a 10 foot length.

I coached the US Fly Fishing Team and was taught the technique by the Polish individual that basically created the technique in the beginning. He uses a 5 weight Loomis distance. I like a rod that is slightly lighter in the 4 weight.

You want sensitivity and speed for this type of nymphing. A soft rod will substantially delay your setting speed. Plus a stiffer rod will allow for more sensitivity at the tip.

John Wilson

------------------
    [url=http://www.flyfishingarkansas.com:abf6a]http://www.flyfishingarkansas.com[/url:abf6a]

Thin Air
    Learned it about 5 years ago from some good guys from Utah.

That wasn't Lance or Ryan was it? Ryan is helping me on this.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

What is the set up on this? Are you using split shot above the flies?

------------------
    Born to fish forced to work.
    Alan

No split shot, the flies are very heavy, as I said 16 to 24 grams. I will take a picture of one and post it. They use three of these about two feet apart (we are only allowed two in my state)

This is the color for our area but there is so many variations. This one is 24 grams. It is about the size of a nickle.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fly Goddess (edited 07 March 2006).]

Czech Nymphs require a flat wrap of weight, to keep the diameter of the nymph, as slim as possible. This calls for minimum thread wraps, and the inherent build-up, if you are using round wire weight wraps.

Round wire wraps cause the thread, to get trapped in-between the wire wraps. If you flatten the wire, by placing the wire on a very hard surface and running the rounded edge of a pliers along the wire, you end up with a flatten wire that will decrease the amount of thread wrap needed to secure the weighted wire.

I start my wire wrap 2/3 back on the hook shank, wrapping forward, to just behind the eye (leaving one eye width for the head wrap). I then reverse the wrap back 1/3 of the hook shank length, this is the thorax area.

~Parnelli

Very true on keeping the body flat. I use the pliers on the first wrap with 0.30 lead, then smooth it out with 0.15, plus more weight, smash the sides with pliers, coat with thin layer of thread, zap-a-gap, let dry and put the ingrediants on. Allowing a little less weight before material added to get to final weight.
    I have even tried putting a hammer to the lead and that works but, does get a little brittle.

------------------

16-24 grams????? Errrrrrr, ahhhh; we call that jig fishing

Or in the deep south "doodle-socking"

[This message has been edited by DEcevR (edited 07 March 2006).]

DEcevR

16-24 grams????? Errrrrrr, ahhhh; we call that jig fishing

Or in the deep south "doodle-socking"

Probably, but those English Styles and Czech/Polish have been around it seems forever, so, I ain't gonna make fun of it LOL

------------------

Ms Goddess--
    A cold October about 5 yrs ago ran into 2 guys 12 miles up the Elwha River in Washington. Don't recall their names one guy was really really good and the other .... well sometimes was 'caught' with spin stuff and fell in the river and we dried him out on the wood stove in the ranger cabin there. visited 2 nights with them. Snow on the trees about 300 ft higher.

One of the guys had just moved (or was about to) move to WA -- Whidbey Island I think.

Here you go. [url=http://www.czechnymphs.com/:7379e]http://www.czechnymphs.com/[/url:7379e]

------------------
    Is not the sky a father and the earth a mother, and are not all living things with feet or wings or roots their children? Give me the strength to walk the soft earth, a relative to all that is!

-----Black Elk, Lakota Sioux Holy Man 1863-1950

+ Reply to Thread