+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purists don't look, but bass anglers, take a peek

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Purists don't look, but bass anglers, take a peek

This is George Glazener's pattern. I just started playing around with it the past couple of days. It is a striper fly, or a hybrid striper. I made it in a 1/0 but the recipe is 2/0-3/0. I saw George at the Texoma Tie In, and showed him the one fly I did, he told me I needed to move the eyes back, so I did. Here is the best one from the past couple of days. It still needs tweaking, but I know it will catch fish!

Blog Entries

Don't tell anyone but lots of "flyfishing" guides have been using "props" in front of silver (coho) salmon flies for years. And they work.

Blog Entries

I have used a propeller in front of a woolly bugger type fly...they do work. I usually put a propeller next to the eye, with a bead behind it. They do work alright. I didn't know coho salmon flies had propellers though. That is cool.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

kelkay:

Very nice fly! Spinner blades on flies were very popular in the early 1900's, but lost favor after WW II. There seems to have been a resurgence in their use during the past couple of decades.

aged sage

Very nice Kelkay. Pretty certain of its success.
    Steve

Blog Entries

Thanks guys. Aged Sage, I have been learning that recently. I know that the fly is fairly slow for me to tie because split rings and adding the blade and all that takes time. Then I use Bug Bond to cover nail polish on the blade. You know, if it weren't for that, epoxy would work just fine. But I was pretty impatient and I did all the blades before putting them on the fly. I didn't have to use epoxy stuff on the body, eyes, or thread head, but I wanted to for durability.

Bass_Bug Guest

Nice fly!! A blade is just another synthetic material, besides a true purist wouldn't be using a fly rod for bass, so I would worry about the purist part. What size rod will it take to cast that thing? I bet something that big and heavy looks like it would give even an 8wt a challenge.

Blog Entries

Bass Bug, I would say no less than a 7wt, and an 8 wt would be the best smallest size. I have an 8wt, but a 9 or 10wt would really be good. I cannot use more than an 8wt, unless it is a good one. My 8 wt gives me a back ache after a while. You can also make this fly with saddle hackle, and bucktail, lead with no lead eyes...just stick on eyes...and it would be lighter. That one is called a Spinster. You can also make a Jig Hook Clouser, and that would work really well for now. (without the spinner) I will make these down to a size 4, which should be good for a White Bass or Hybrid Striper too. I hope the lead eyed fly casts okay with my 8wt. If not someone will have to take these flies lol....

Since you have concerns about line twist.....and yet are adding metal....like blades, beads itc.....why not a very small swivel that is designed for fly fishning?

Kelly, You will not have time in you lifetime to use all the poppers and flies you have tied. Would you sell me a batch?

Jim
    PS
    Kelly, I did not forget about the punch yarn. The yarn did not arrive in Kilgore til long after I got there. My check for it was lost in the mail and I had to do a stop order and send another check out. When the punch yarn finally arrived, i put it aside and out of sight....out of mind. I will have to find a good way to roll some off the spools I have and send them to you. It will be done.

Blog Entries

I am not sure about the swivel you are speaking of for fly fishing. Can you send a link? No problem about the Punch Yarn. Pm on the rest.

+ Reply to Thread