I'll give you my opinion. I think all fly rods are designed with one thought, and that is to eliminate the boink, boink, wobble wobble of the tip after the power stroke. To provide a nice smooth loop going out there to fight the wind and stay right on target where the fly caster intended the fly to go. They call it damping.Some wood rods and fiberglass rods of the past didn't do a very good job of this. They are and should be dust collectors.
Along came the graphite rod and wow,to the objection of the old time pundants my conclusion after casting and fishing with one was irreversible. I was and am a graphite convert since 1974. I bought the Orvis 8 ft. Trout rod. It had a ceramic tip top guide which was nixed by the pundants. I disagreed with that decision.
I own three cane rods and no fiberglass. An Orvis 6 1/2 which cast very well, but is to fragile for my normal fishing. An Orvis 8 1/2 for an HDH line which was a whimp until I gave it a 4 wt. and the life came out of it. I gave my brother an 9 ft. Phillipson Pacemaker which was a dream rod for distance casting and fishing big streamers. It was matched with an HCH or 7 wt. line. He hangs it on the wall.
My personal favorite is a graphite JK Fisher I built in 1978. It's a 906-2 and I won't give it up for nuttin'. I recently purchased a bunch of g-rods for a discount price and the juries still out, but I'm onto a 7 1/2 ft. for a 4 wt. that's not going to collect much dust from that purchase.
Bamboo is a good rod material but it has no advantage over the modern graphite rod. The Phillipson used to wear me out at pretty close to a pound fishing weight, and that was in my younger days.
Have an open mind with regard to all of the past, present, and future rod materials. You may be surprised one day like I was with a rod you won't give away for nuttin'.