+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you "rough it?"

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

I've spent many a night in the far reaches of the world in a tent out of necessity because that was the only shelter to be found.

And while I admit that when I was younger camping out was fun, it hold no allure for me right now. However - given a set up Ron Eagle Elk or fcch - that's a far cry from the camping set-ups that I've been relegated to.

You, my friends, know how to CAMP!

The bigger the set up - the more comfortable the accommodations - and the more likely I'd be to stay in a mega tent instead of finding a local motel.

But for my three pole single dome? Nah - I've become too much of a wuss in my middle years. I'll find a hotel and end each day by rinsing the layer of fishing film that seems to coat me whenever I spend a full day out in the water.
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    PS: Kerry, but can he carry stuff?
    Kuma comes with a dog backpack and loves to carry things when we hike. He usually packs the lunch while I carry the fishing gear. Problem with Kuma packing the lunch is I have to get to him before he gets to the river or the lunch gets wet.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Kerry,

Repeat after me: Double Zip Lock Bags. If Kuma is anything like Bear, my old Malamute, cutting down on the smell of FOOD for your hiking partner isn't a bad thing either.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Two children boys a station wagon for wife and I one tent Four to a 13 foot trailer with 5 three girls I had to get another 13foot with all the comforts of home. All the children went on their own but the wife and i still wanted to travel. Bought a smaller Dodge Dakota and a pop up 8 foot truck camper.Best camper Ive owned just pull into any city get into the back and eat. Spent 8 week on one trip from the Green River to Alberta. Wife thought it was funny when I said I was tired of camping----of course that ment four more weeks of fishing on the way home. BILL

I do it do save money. Most of the places I go here in CA are in national forests. Most national forests allow "dispersed camping" otherwise known as sleeping in the forest. I like to find a forest road across from a campground or day use area along the stream. that way, I have a rest room to use in the AM, but can still sleep in the back of my Ford Explorer for free. I can also get back into the more remote areas and sleep. I usually bring 3 or so gallons of water for drinking/cooking. I use a couple of camping pads beneath me for cushioning. I had the kids at my high school weld me up a bear box for food storage, as I keep nothing a bruin might want inside with me. (i do keep my 870 in there though) I have a one burner stove and a propane lantern. Everything necessary is kept in a camp box in my garage for spur-of-the-moment getaways.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

My idea of roughing it is not having a coffee maker in the room.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Blog Entries

My 16-year-old winter camps and fishes with an Army Ranger... They just pick a spot on gravel somewhere and roll out a tarp... A Ranger does not even use a sleeping pad. My son is learning to be tough! They have a special camping spot that requires just a bit of effort to get to, and is on the edge of a big drop off straight to a large lake... Incredible views in the morning.

I often put a camp on my back and walk for hours to find a rock pile to sleep on, but I at least carry a pad. Usually spend at least several straight weeks camping minimally every year... And I am well past 50.
    art

Because I like it. And because I don't consider it "roughing it".

There is a choice. You can be in total comfort and stare upward from your motel bunk at a ceiling that looks like the snow pattern on a TV set after a hard days fishing, or you can be at 10,000 ft. or where ever and see the universe sparkle and move right before your eyes with billions of stars you never saw before and lay in wonderment and uncontrollably by yourself point your finger up there and say: "Look at that"!
    I don't think that's roughing-it. The pleasure is as close to catching your fish of a life time or orgasm.
    Put a lid on it and you are losing something.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

If I rough it, which to me is sleeping in a tent, I do it because tent camping is the only way to get access to where I want to fish. I don't consider staying in a cabin to be roughing it if the cabin has cots and the facilities to cook food and clean up.

When I was younger, I used to backpack in the Rockies and go on week long canoe trips in the Boundary Waters. Unfortunately carrying a heavy pack for a week or portaging a week's worth of stuff three or four times in a day does not agree with my body. I am still willing to do "modified" wilderness trips such camping for a few days in the Sylvania Wilderness where I don't have to portage all of my gear multiple times.

Sleeping on the ground in a tent is not bad if you have a good sleeping pad and food always tastes great when you are camping. The stars are spectacular.

+ Reply to Thread