+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck Camping Sleeping Set Ups

Default Truck Camping Sleeping Set Ups

I am joining the ranks of those who do a little truck camping when they fish. I just purchased an '08 Tundra Double Cab and have an ARE Z Series cap on order. I plan on putting it to its initial test on a trip to Colorado in about a month. My question for those of you who camp in their trucks is what do you use for a sleeping solution? Are you using an air mattress, self inflating air pad, foam or something else? I have done a little research and came across the Therma-a-Rest DreamTime and the Paco Pad. They look like nice options, but both are a little pricey. What do you use and are there any forums out there that focus on truck camping?

Shane I dont know how old you are but after 40 you want the best you can afford to sleep on, just remember the better the sleeep the less you hurt in the morning and the more fun you have fishing. There is nothing that will take the fun out of a good trip then a back that hurts.
    Ghost

I have a 6 1/2 foot bed on an F150 with a Leer cap. I built a deck in the bed level with the top of the wheel wells. This gives me a flat floor and about 10 inches of storage under the deck. We put a futon mattress on the deck. I have a truck tent that fits over the cap door and tail gate that gives us an area about 2 feet wide at the end of the "bed". It sleeps great. If we are travelling (not staying more than over night) it is perfect. If we plan to stay longer we put up a tent and canopy. The truck bed feels a bit cramped after a night or two. You just need to stand up some times.

When I truck camped I used an old army cot topped with a self-inflating foam air pad. I have trouble getting up from a floor bed and with the cot I can swing my legs off and stand up. My truck has a lumber rack. When I used it I covered it at night with a fitted canvas cover. Now we consider Motel 6 as roughing it. I hope you find a solution that suits you. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Cavitt View Post
    are there any forums out there that focus on truck camping?
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=truck+camping

Ford F150 with Leer cap. I have a piece of 6 inch foam about 7 x 3 1/2 feet I use to sleep on. I will take a small folding camp table, folding chair, 2 burner stove, lantern, small cooler. Cooking gear and other necessities are packed in an action packer. This is usually good for 4 to 5 days of camping. Most of this stuff is in the garage ready to go. A stop at the store for ice and I can be packed and gone in less than an hour if someone tells me the fish are biting.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

jimsnarocks me and the wife own a nice travel trailer, 26 foot with a bathroom the size of a motel bathroom in it , now that what we call roughing it. It a Thor-Dutchman Raineer model
    Ghost

roughing it in a truck
    35ox234truckavatar.jpg

I don't want to Hijack this well flowing thread so I'll start a new one regarding "WHY?"

Mark

I recommend some 4" or thicker Foam pads as well as taking some cotton Sheets that can get dirty to put under you ....
    and "Dont Forget your Pillows and Bug Repellant and Tiki Torches"
    Nylon will make sweat ....cotton won't.

+ Reply to Thread