+ Reply to Thread

Thread: practicing knots?

Talking practicing knots?

I'm getting really psyched up for our trip to Unicoi GA in 9 count 'em 9 days! I've caught fish on flies that I've tied before, but never a trout. That's my goal, finally get a trout on one of my flies. So, I've been tying flies. which I'm not very good at, but I enjoy it.

Only one problem, my fly tying desk is in our extra bedroom, which has become the "office" My wife is going to school and is trying really hard to get enough of her school work done ahead that she can take off for our trip and enjoy herself. So, I'm trying to stay out of her way and not getting to tie flies like I'd like too. Which leads me to my question.

I've got a little box I picked up at Wally world that holds different spools of fishing line. I have it sitting at the table next to my chair in the living room. So, when I can't tie flies, I find myself sitting there practicing knots over and over. The finger nail clippers are right there on the table, so I can immediately cut off the knot I just tied throw that away, and retie it. I've got piles of perfection loops, blood knots, and the like laying all over the top of the table. Normand was kind enough to post a link to my question about droppers, (different thread scroll down some) where they showed how to tie an improved clinch knot with ease for tying on a dropper. I've got this stuff tied and laying everywhere. Everytime I get up out of my chair, I have to make a trip to the trash can.

So, here's my question. Am I crazy? Or do I just need to move the trash can over next to my chair?

hNt

HEY wait a minute, why am I online here at the computer? She's not in here, I could be tying flies!!!
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Blog Entries

move the trash can. and make up a small tying kit to take with you.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I spend time practicing knots from time to time too so you're not alone, but I'm not saying we aren't a little crazy. An idea if you wanna tie though, pick a pattern you want a bunch of, either one you wanna learn or one you use a lot, get only the tools and materials you'll need for that fly and go set up on another table in the house to tie. If you're only tying up a dozen or so of one pattern, unless they involve spun deer hair, the mess should be pretty manageable and you get to focus on getting that one patter right without the distraction of having access to all your other materials to substitute or alter the pattern. I did this with some size 18 pheasant tail nymphs and hairs ear nymphs. They are still the only fly pattern I can think of that I have close to a dozen of the same size/color on hand. Everything else I tie maybe 3 or so and get bored and move on to something else or try something a little different. Just a thought for when the knots start to get boring.

Jason;
    I hope you have a grand time in GA. It sounds like you need some type of portable tying station, something you can put away in the closet and bring out when you want to do some tying. There are a lot of tying stations out there but wait until you've been tying a little longer and design one that fits your style.

You sure have progressed a long way from that cold day in March (2009, wasn't it?) when we met at Normanday Dam on the Duck River.

Keep at it my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Jason;

You sure have progressed a long way from that cold day in March (2009, wasn't it?) when we met at Normanday Dam on the Duck River.

Keep at it my friend
    Jack,
    As you knoiw that was my very first fly fishing trip. It was either the end of Feb or March of 2009. Just a little over a year ago. Before that day my life was "normal" Now I've got a couple of fly rods, waders, toon and a fly tying desk. So when Dana says something about all of this fly fishing stuff, I just blame it on you. Come to think of it, you have costed me a fortune. lol And truthfully, I can't thank you enough.

Jason
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

and I thought I was the only nut job praticing knot tying during the off-season. Different subject: how shall I practove threading the hook eye? It's gets more difficult with every passing season. Maybe I should stop getting old...............

If you practice the Pitzen you almost need nothing else.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...esepagetop.jpg
    Practically everyone who has learned this uses it almost exclusively. 10 seconds to tie and you can do it in the dark.

+ Reply to Thread