+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly suggestions for Philmont Scout Ranch

Hybrid View

Glenmoore, PA, on the banks of the East Brandywine Creek

Default Fly suggestions for Philmont Scout Ranch

I will be backpacking the Philmonth Scout Ranch the weeks of August 12-22. I will have an opportunity to do some flyfishing in the southern section of the ranch (Fish Camp). I've never fished out West so I need some help .Can you give me some suggestion on a couple of flies I that can tie up ahead of time to take with me?

Okay, it's been what, 22 years since I've been to Philmont (ouch!), so this is NOT fresh intel, but I would think in August you'd want some caddises (elk hair would be my choice), adams, maybe a hopper or two, some hare's ears, copper johns, pheasant tails, and maybe a prince nymph. I haven't been there in a long time and I'd be surprised if it were the same as I remember it, but those are some general patterns that should get the job done.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Do you mean you'll be fishing the Cimarron?

Joe

4. Default

How did you swing the chance to fish on Philmont property?

I have fished the Cimarron many times but never at that location. It gets hot that time of year, and the water gets hotter as you go farther downstream from the dam at Eagle Nest. The fishing generally gets progressively worse below the special trout water. Maybe there are some spring fed sections of the lower river where the fishing is still good, but it is all private property.

The main insects in August will be caddis and hoppers. If I recall correctly, the caddis tend to be around size 16 and olive colored.

The first fly I ever tied was in fish camp. I wasn't there long enough to fish -- got in late, tied a few flies, picked up food, and packed out the next morning.

The stream running through fish camp was pretty small (although it's been more than 20 years for me also). I'm thinking 7'6 rod and anything with a bead or peacock.

Have fun.

Glenmoore, PA, on the banks of the East Brandywine Creek

I am actually doing a backpacking trip with my sons scout troop and we are hoping to draw 'Fish Camp' as one of our stops. I will only have one evening to fish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Billingsley View Post
    Do you mean you'll be fishing the Cimarron?

Joe

I fished for many years without knowing I wasn't supposed to on the Cimarron below the quality water on the Boy Scout Ranch because, 1) there was always more water down there when they weren't letting the water out of Eagle Nest Lake and, 2) fewer people (now I know why!).
    The most successful flies I've used for years are (not in any order and not including the basics - PT's, Griffith's Gnats, EHC's, Stimulators, and Hare's Ears) a #16 Copper John, a #12 Lime Trude, a #16 nondescript caddis pupa with an olive fur body and a black fur head, a #18 Gray Zebra Midge with a silver bead and silver ribbing, and a #18 Red Quill Spinner for the evening spinner falls. The largest fish I've ever caught on the Cimarron - about a 4 pound brown - was on a large gray crane fly larva. However, when in doubt, go olive.
    One more thing - be prepared for weather changes! Storms can be on top of you in the canyon in a heartbeat.
    You'll love it!
    Joe

PAngler,
    Not to scare you, but be careful:
    http://www.cnjonline.com/news/bear-3...-philmont.html

Joe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Billingsley View Post
    PAngler,
    Not to scare you, but be careful:
    http://www.cnjonline.com/news/bear-3...-philmont.html

Joe
    WOW philmont has had a huge population of bears for years with out problems, I wonder what is going on.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Track down Doc Thompson and pick his brain. He's the man on the Cimmaron. Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread