+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Any former smokers ?

Jack mentioned you'll notice the smell of car exhaust... You'll also notice the stale tobacco smell on people who still smoke. (Ten years and counting.)

Over two weeks, and I need to adjust the carb on the Harley.. I can smell it's running to rich.

Steve, how are you doing buddy?

Z

I am soooooo proud of you!

So, Steve, how are you doing? You started it ya know!

I stopped in the morning to pick up a pack on the way to work. The discussions always surfaced about quitting, tried the patch - but with high BP - too much rise in pressure with the patch. Anyhow this time, the wife scerams at me "I KNEW YOU COULDN'T QUIT". So I got back in the car and drove away - dropped the kids off at school, wife caught the bus, and I went to work.

That was 8 years ago.

As tensions were high in the house that night, I went fishing down to the creek to calm down, relax and ..... think. Casting and thinking about smoking, the effects on - not me - but my family, and wanting to make sure I was there for my kids down the road.

I haven't smoked since, and don't regret it.

However, as people note, your nose will become higly sensitive to all odors, and your taste buds will be like they've been grit blasted clean and given new life.

So - how you doing ?

Darrell,

I started to smoke when I was 14. Over time I got the habit to pack and a half a day. Quit once with hypnosis but that did not last long since my wife was still smoking and did not wanted to quit.
    After 28 years of smoking I got really sick over holiday weekend. Heartburn, vomiting, diarrhea, fever you name it. I thought it was something I ate.. After 3 days told my wife to take me to ER - Even had 2 smokes on the way. Doc in the hospital said: "You have bad case of food poisoning but I want to run some test..." 5 minutes later I was in IV, oxygen heart monitor, blood thinners and had defibrillator taped to my chest - they moved me to the trauma room cause it was no food poisoning but a heart attack - second one, as it turned out I walked thrugh first one without even knowing about it. Got the stent in and spend 10 days in MICU. Ovarall quite lucky I have survived. Cause of the problem turned out to be damage to the arterial arteries done by nicotine. An I was worrying about cancer HA!!! While there I heard many other stories of people with my situation. One guy in there was brought to MICU after being zapped 7 times by paramedics and 26 times in the ER. He was in the coma for two weeks when I became a "resident" and was still in the same state when I left. The nurse said it was just a matter of time...

That was over 5 years ago. When I left the hospital I did not touch the smokes ever since. Also made my wife quit - I told her she has to smoke outside form now on and it got a bit too cold for her out there...

The doctors were able to open all of my arteries over time - I'm walking around with 4 stents most likely enough to set of metal detectors in the airport

Now I can smell and taste the little bit of food I'm allowed to eat on my diet.

The cravings went away after about year or so and yes you need to stop thinking about cigarettes - it helps.

For all of you who are trying or thinking about quitting take my story as additional incentive - it can happen to anyone and does happen all of the time.

For all of you who quit for good - congratulations.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

I'm really enjoying reading this thread about quitting smoking. For me whether or not to smoke was never an issue because smoking makes me sick immediately. It gets my asthma going so it's harder to breath. As for the laws making it illegal to smoke in public places I'm grateful for them because so I can go anywhere and work anywhere without worrying about running into cigarette smoke. There were restaurants that I would have like to eat at but wouldn't because of all the smokers. Now that restriction is gone & I can and do go to those places.
    The only thing is I realize that it is really hard to quit and I have nothing against somebody lighting up as long as the smoke doesn't end up in my lungs. It's a bad habit but at least you can safely drive a car or operate heavy equipment while under the influence of tobacco. Never heard of anybody shooting anybody while under the influence of a cig.

P.S. To everyone who quit smoking, thanks, you just made breathing easier.

I went cold turkey after on / off mosly on after 25 years of it. i stopped 8 years ago, because of the birth of my son, figuring i would want to be around a bit longer for him. As a side note i am running the 4th marathon of the year in early october. my secert, i used a pencil, as long as i had something in my fingers it took the urge away to fire one up. try it see how it works, wish you the best!
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

MCFR,
    If your post, THIS ONE, helped only ONE "former smoker" quit the ugly habit, you're to be thanked. I quit many years ago and probably with a "nudge" from a similar suggestion.
    To all who are on the verge of quitting, DO IT, and good luck.

Mark

Blog Entries

Z,

You talk of jumping up to go have a smoke. My father lived with us the last few years of his life. He was a 4 pack a day smoker. After his death, I got the autopsy results from the VA hospital. I read of how riddled his lungs were with end stage emphysema, which was the official cause o death. I found the document so interesting that I jumped up to go show it to Dad. I was halfway to his room when it dawned on me what I was doing. I was going to tell a dead man that smoking had killed him like I tried to tell him it would.

You can't possibly feel as silly for jumping up to go have a smoke as I did for jumping up to go talk with a dead man about his autopsy results.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

+ Reply to Thread