+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Any former smokers ?

Default Any former smokers ?

Well I've made up my mind to quit smoking for good. I've tried & tried to quit in the past and had "some" success but this time I've made up my mind that I won't go back to it no matter how bad the cravings get. Today is day 2....I think I'm about to chew off my own arm today lol

Any other former smokers here? did you do it cold turkey if so? I've done the patch, nicotine inhaler, and smokeless cigs in the past and I feel those things only work if you "think" they are working. So this time I'm just going on my will power and that's it.

Steve

Put them down, and walk away. Once you have decided to do this for YOU, it becomes much easier.

Drink lots of water, and brush your teeth often. When your mouth is clean, the urge to smoke is greatly reduced!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Steve;
    I used the gum Nicorette and it's been almost a year since quitting. Being retired and on a fixed income it helped to think about what I could do with an extra 300 bucks a month!!

I quit about 13 years ago. I used the patch and don't think I could have done it without the patches. My wife finally gave up smoking for good about 2 years ago. She used some prescription drug; can't remember the name right now.

When I quit I decided one day while lighting up. Stopped lighting the cig and drove down to the store and bought some patches. Didn't have any plans to quit that day nor did I tell anyone I was quitting. Several days later my wife asked me if I had quit smoking and I said I think I have. I carried a pack of cigarettes around with me for a month and a half. Likely the only time I littered was when I was driving down the road to my house and threw them out the window. Never looked back and consider it the second most important decision I ever made after quitting drugs and alcohol. Well, perhaps marrying my wife tops the list of good ideas.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Hi Steve, it is hard but it does get easier each and every day. I gave up 21 years ago, cold turkey from a pack a day. I tried a few times with things like gum and patches but they did not work for me, I found it much easier to just go cold turkey and decide "I am no longer a smoker." It took about 3 months before I stopped wanting a smoke but only about 3 weeks before I stopped craving a smoke.
    Hope it works out for you.
    Good luck.
    All the best.
    Mike.

I quit cold turkey. I decided that I had the will power to live my life without cigarettes and that it was a good deal cheaper also. Still had the urge sometimes even up to five years later but I never had another and it has now been thirty years.

I quit a bit over a year ago. My doc gave me a prescription to take for 2 weeks before quitting, but it was cold turkey after that. The first 2 days were like a 48-hour panic attack. Then it got very easy, surprisingly so. I still get an urge on occasion, but only once a month or so.

In my case it was a tax protest. The last one they stuck in got me angry. Amazing to think how much money I've saved in the past year.

Good for you. I smoked for about 12 years and gave it up cold turkey about 25 years ago. I took a stop smoking class that dealt with the psychological aspects of smoking addiction. We learned smoking is a learned habit that you have to unlearn--change your routine. For example, if you get up everyday and have a smoke first thing, then you should change that and maybe take a shower first. If you have a smoke after every meal then change that by taking a walk instead. It was still hard but it got easier everyday. We also learned that after three days the nicotine is gone from your system and then it's just a mental thing. You can do it. Tomorrow will be day three and it won't be long that it will be year three. I feel so stupid for having smoked in the first place. There are no redeeming values to it. It's just a total waste. Just think you will smell so much better. Your hair won't stink, your clothes won't stink and your breath will be fresh. I can only think of how bad I must have smelled to other people. I guess you get the point. It's the best thing you can do for yourself and your loved ones. I'm not preaching to you I'm just trying to encourage you.
    Bruce

Blog Entries

Steve, I quit 6 years ago. Like you, I had tried a bazillion times with no luck. After trying patches, gum, prescriptions, you name it for aids, quitting cold turkey worked best for me. For now, avoid stuff you simply had to have a cigarette with like beer and coffee. Drink a diet soda instead to get your caffeine for a week or two.

Now for the mental edge, look at a kid or a grandkid and remind yourself that you can not tell them not to smoke if you are smoking. That did it for me.

It CAN be done!
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I quit after smoking for 30o years with the help of my doctor prescription, the pill help along with my wanting to quit. The med cut the cravings the only thing I need to over come was the habbit I do recomend talking to your doc, and a lot of health insurences cover part or all of the cost if you join a help quiting group.

Ghost

+ Reply to Thread