+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Any former smokers ?

Went cold turkey about 10 years ago.Started taking a different route to work,drinking water instead of pop at lunch,mainly changed as many habits as possible and it seemed to help.

When I was in the Army smokes were 10 cents a pack, overseas they were free.We got to have one every time our feet stopped moving. I was hooked big time. It took awhile to give 'em up but i'm done, and have been for25 years.
    Smoke 'em if you got'm? Not any more. Thanx.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Blog Entries

Steve,

I never smoked but I know how hard it can be, my wife quit cold turkey in 1993, of course I said I wouldn't marry her unless she did! She said it's the best choice she ever made, and realistically she might not be here if she didn't, she has asthma. Good luck and hang tough! She still misses it though 17 years later.

24 days.. doing great! quit the chantix too, it messed up my tummy. but, no desire to go back!!

I'm running a program QuitKeeper that really helps me, just stats.. and great incentive http://www.dedicateddesigns.com/qk/

Good Z, I've heard that that Chatntix can be a bit nasty!! Glad you're off it. One year for me today!

Congratulations on the decision to quit! You'll never regret it.

It will be 19 years this Halloween that I quit, the great Halloween blizzard of '91 in Minneapolis, took the kids trick-or-treating by sled, 30" of snow by the time it finally let up! Anyway I went for the self Pavlovian training. I sat down with three packs of cigarettes and lit one off the other and just kept smoking until I threw up! For the next six months after that every time I picked up a cigarette I would become nausiated. After six months the cravings were pretty well gone.

Good Luck!

i'm 40... that said... Just had a sonagram thingy done on my heart and Nuclear tredmill test done yesterday and a possible kidney issue... all thats left is word from my doc at this point..been smokeing since I was 8yo... I say smoking.. cause I just finnished one while reading this post.. Been avoiding opening this thread the past week infact.... Cause My doc told me a week ago that if I keep going as I am in the next 3 to 5 yrs I will be in the same boat as my 43 yo brother who just a few short months ago had a heart attack....

I got a Daughter who on the 15th of this month will be 5.... there is where I'm going to place all thought when my supply runs out... The fact that I wanna be there to let some little bleepin bleep know that dads eyes will be on him at all times even after I allow him the honor..... But i gotta get it done.... I don't wanna go out that way! that and if I can stop.. maybe.. I can get my Brother to... Kinda hard to preach if your doing what ya know he shouldn't even after a heart attack!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Bill,
    MOTIVATION is the obvious operative required to QUIT. The scenario you stated regarding your daughter ( and I LOVE your implied concern) is kinda "cutesie" but REAL. BE THERE for HER. QUIT NOW or else the dude with the pants down below his a$$ , nose ring and cigarette in his face will come to claim her. Heaven forbid.

Mark

Steve, I made it six years without smoking and I did it cold turkey. Unfortunately, I lived with a girl who smoked and my six year streak came to an end. You have to REALLY want to quit in order to do it. If you have that mind set, you'll make it. I'm planning on doing the same in the not to distant future... just hope it's not too late. lol. So, at next year's PA Fish-In, hopefully we'll both be former smokers.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by billknepp View Post
    i'm 40... that said... Just had a sonagram thingy done on my heart and Nuclear tredmill test done yesterday and a possible kidney issue... all thats left is word from my doc at this point..been smokeing since I was 8yo... I say smoking.. cause I just finnished one while reading this post.. Been avoiding opening this thread the past week infact.... Cause My doc told me a week ago that if I keep going as I am in the next 3 to 5 yrs I will be in the same boat as my 43 yo brother who just a few short months ago had a heart attack....

I got a Daughter who on the 15th of this month will be 5.... there is where I'm going to place all thought when my supply runs out... The fact that I wanna be there to let some little bleepin bleep know that dads eyes will be on him at all times even after I allow him the honor..... But i gotta get it done.... I don't wanna go out that way! that and if I can stop.. maybe.. I can get my Brother to... Kinda hard to preach if your doing what ya know he shouldn't even after a heart attack!
    Hey Bill,
    Just do it brother. I know you can! Us Pennsyltucky boys are tough like that! Ain't no pack of smokes going to own me!

+ Reply to Thread