+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FEB hopper

Default FEB hopper

I was just tying up a half dozen and had an idea. i finished up those half dozen then tied another half dozen up. The second half dozen were tied without a wing, i havent given either version a fair trial or a trial at all, so i have no clue how the wingless one will work. Have any of you tried them without the wing?

I'm sure it will work, but for me, the wing helps make it easier to see the fly.

Regards,
    Scott

I also use the wing for visibility... I use chartreuse para post on some of mine! Black FEB hopper at sunset and after without the bright wing is difficult to see.

That is about the only big issue i could think of without the wing when i was tying. Went to a small stream about fifteen minutes away from my house tonight and used both flies. I caught 6 trout. 5 brookies and one rainbow. All about 10-11 inches long. Four of them hit the winnged one( all brookies) and a brookie and a rainbow took the non winged one. All six fish were in about a 20 yard flat that has a constant depth of about 3 feet. I will be able to get out saturday morning before i have to drive and try these flys again. hopefully i will be able to stay late enough for the hoppers to get active.

+ Reply to Thread