+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shenandoah, VA

Hybrid View

Default Shenandoah, VA

Anyone have any experience fishing Shenandoah National Park in the fall? Might be taking a trip there at the end of October beginning of November and was wondering if the fishing will be any good at that time. Any suggestions on flies, streams, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What part of the park are you possibly going to?

We are looking at staying in Luray, but if you have other suggestions I am all ears. Nothing is set in stone yet.

Shoot a PM to Grubb. Tim lives in Luray & knows that neck of the woods better than most. If he has the time to get out with you, he'll most likely get you into some fine fishing.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

The fly shop in edinburg is a source of info, I know Harry would be glad to help. Murrys fly shop, www.murraysflyshop.com. The Shenandoah will have awsome smallmouth action, keep your options open, but weekends can be like fishing on the beltway. The VGIF will start start stocking again in October, I love the Hawksbill in Luray and what they have done to make that a clean, healthy stream again. Last time I went a caught a fingerling rainbow (I have heard some landowners are stocking their private land and they migrate). But if you want to stalk the wild brookies in the park, short rod, any fly, and stealth, and hope for a wet summer - so far NOT.

Quote Originally Posted by pillcaster View Post
    The fly shop in edinburg is a source of info, I know Harry would be glad to help. Murrys fly shop, www.murraysflyshop.com. The Shenandoah will have awsome smallmouth action, keep your options open, but weekends can be like fishing on the beltway. The VGIF will start start stocking again in October, I love the Hawksbill in Luray and what they have done to make that a clean, healthy stream again. Last time I went a caught a fingerling rainbow (I have heard some landowners are stocking their private land and they migrate). But if you want to stalk the wild brookies in the park, short rod, any fly, and stealth, and hope for a wet summer - so far NOT.
    As an aside, is the Shenandoah back? I thought there was a problem with fishkills and the source couldn't be identified.

When I first started dating my wife, I took her to Harry's smallmouth bass school. G-d what a blast. Must have had a smallie on every five minutes. Fly got so beat up, there was nothing but lead wire and a piece of chenille hanging off and they were still nailing it.

She told me, "Dammit, you never said this was so much fun."

Quote Originally Posted by GRP View Post
    Anyone have any experience fishing Shenandoah National Park in the fall? Might be taking a trip there at the end of October beginning of November and was wondering if the fishing will be any good at that time. Any suggestions on flies, streams, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    You'll want to pick up a copy of Harry's book: Trout Fishing In The Shenandoah National Park. That's usually about the time of Indian Summer & the smallmouth fishing on the Shenandoah River used to be fabulous beyond the bass-a-cast reports !

+ Reply to Thread