+ Reply to Thread

Thread: best fly line wf6f

Hybrid View

Default best fly line wf6f

I am looking for a good large trout line for my 6wt. I do have a few types , sharkskin, gpx, wonderline for other weights and I am replacing a worn out gpx that I was never thrilled with. I am looking for a low memory slick line for casting bigger dries (hex and drakes at night) and possible some streamers when it calls to use a floating line, bass bugs and frogs and mice.
    the typical rivers have room to cast 60 feet plus and it will also be used in lakes. sharksking is what I am leaning to but I know there are some other top notch lines for much cheaper. any advise?
    how about a XXD or triangle taper?
    -Jeff

Ther eare some great lines out there. I will say, I picked up a Teeny "Pat Ehlers" Bass/Pike 7wt WF Floating line for my bass rod that I absolutely love. I can put durned near the entire line in the air with a popper. And that's good for my casting ability:^)
    Last edited by NJTroutbum; 06-22-2010 at 02:45 PM.

Rio freshwater Clouser line works great for streamers. I use it on my #6 primarily for that purpose.

Hi birddog, I have to recomend Rio Grand lines, they cast well and more importantly they float very well. I have had one on my nymphing rod for about 3 seasons and it is just as good as new.
    If you do not need to do much long distance mending then the Airflo 40+ line is also good.
    All the best.
    Mike

I've never been a real big Orvis fan but I have found the Wonderline series of Orvis lines to be one of the best lines I have owned (have 4 of the Wonderlines currently). If your not in a huge hurry to get it then as an added bonus if you sign up for Orvis' mailing list they usually send a "$25 off of any $50 purchase" coupon in the mail every month and I always use that to get a new wonderline for about $40 when they send the coupon.

Steve

That is one thing that I would like out of this line is the ability to mend pretty long distances. also to lay out quite a bit of line. My 6 wt rod is a scott STS, semi fast action not as fast as some of the new rods.

+ Reply to Thread