Sport fishing column for June 21 to 28, 2010

Summer is here, which for many brings thoughts of camping and fishing. While hopes are always high for a banner day, there are times fishing can be a frustrating experience, even for the experts. One of the many things I like about fish is their subtle way of teaching humility. I know in my early days I eat crow more than a few times, as I sounded off with much bravado as I took friends and family to my "you can't miss" fisheries. Wisdom and experience have shown me that we (mankind) can't make fish do anything. They do what they were designed and intended to do; and they do it very well thank you, without needing any of our meddling.

Do you want to catch a fish? Then just go fish. Don't concern yourself too much with what the guy says. The fish could make a fool of him too. Over the process of time you will learn some things and you will come to a place where you will win more rounds than you lose. Each trip will be another page in the great big book of stories you will get to tell your grandchildren when they decide to fish.

Did you know Roy Rogers was a fly fisherman? Yes he was, along with Gene Audrey, and Bing Crosby. "Happy trails to you."

The report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is good. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Big Black, Nation's Black, Red Spratley, Baggy Shrimp, Coachman, Cased Caddis, Halfback, Dragon Nymph, Carey Special, Zulu, or Doc Spratley. For dry (floating) fly fishing try: Tom Thumb, Renegade, Black Gnat, Foam Ant, Griffith Gnat, Royal Coachman, or Elk Hair Caddis. For kokanee try: Red Abbis, Red Spratley, Bloodworm, Royal Coachman, San Juan Worm, or red Micro Leach.

Local bass and crappie fishing is good. Try: Wooly Bugger, Big Black, Blood Leach, Matuka, Popin Bugs, Chernobyl Ants, Crayfish, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Epoxy Minnow, Deceiver, Dolly Whacker, Bucktail, Hair Frog, Irresistible, or Tom Thumb.

Fishing on our interior lakes is good. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Pumpkinhead, 52 Buick, Bloodworm, Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, olive Matuka, Butler's Bug, Halfback, Baggy Shrimp, Sooboo, Sixpack, or Green Spratley, For dry fly fishing try: Lady McConnel, Irresistible, Big Ugly, Double Hackled Peacock, Tom Thumb, Royal Wulff, or Elk Hair Caddis.

The Fraser River is in freshet. For better success, focus on the cleaner water in and around its feeder streams. For cutthroat and rainbow try: Rolled Muddler, Mickey Finn, Tied Down Minnow, Professor, Lioness, Kaufmann Stone, Coachman, Zulu, Chez Nymph, Black Gnat, Sooboo, Irresistible, Elk Hair Caddis, or Stimulator. For dolly varden try: large (#4 to #2) Rolled Muddler, Zonker, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Dolly Whacker, black Popsicle, or Big Black.

The Stave River is fare to good for cutthroat and rainbow.

Wild pacific salmon are part of our heritage; say no to the foreign national
companies and their farmed fish.