+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AND THE WINNERS ARE - Ladyfisher - June 21, 2010

Blog Entries

Default AND THE WINNERS ARE - Ladyfisher - June 21, 2010

AND THE WINNERS ARE

Actually everyone is a winner is this case. I just love to see kids fishing, and I do mean fishing, not just fly fishing.*Whatever it takes to get the kids outside away from the hypnotism of TV and the continuous hum and drone of modern electronic living (yes, even here in the wild west of Montana - it's everywhere!)*It?s so invasive a person can hardly have an intelligent thought.

Sometime before 1995 when my husband Trav retired as a volunteer firefighter after 20 years, the Livingston City Firefighters took over the Kids Trout Derby which had originally been sponsored by the local Joe Brooks Chapter of Trout Unlimited. We don't know why the Derby had folded, just one of those things. The firefighters picked up the ball and have been producing it ever since. I'm not generally in favor of fishing competitions of any kind, but this is different - or at least I'll make an exception for it.

2. Default

I love to see kids having fun fishing. Coordinated two youth fly fishing clubs myself for seven years until a promotion in my day job didn't alow me to continue. We did an anual middle and high school fly fishing championship for all our local school based clubs too. I always found teaching those kids was even more fun than actual fishing. love those photos. As I wrote for a caption in one pictures in the school year book

"Heaven is a place far off and down a road yet untraveled; yet sometimes on the rarest of occasions we do catch a glimps of it."

You really can never replace the time or enjoyment spent taking kids fishing. It's just something that is a win-win across the board for all parties involved. Good to see it happening.

+ Reply to Thread