+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAN JUAN MIDGE - Fly of the Week - June 21, 2010

Blog Entries

Default SAN JUAN MIDGE - Fly of the Week - June 21, 2010

SAN JUAN MIDGE

Awhile ago I was asked to submit some fly patterns for the ?Old Flies? section of the website and I had to reluctantly turn down the request for articles because I am not a writer nor do I aspire to be a writer. I also don?t have that much to say and the research into ?Old Flies? goes way beyond what my personal library holds in information. I also live in a small town and I personally know my ?town? library is not stocked full of old fly tying books. There is the internet but that too is limited in finding ?old? patterns and their histories.

Norm, Nice job! Excellent pattern and very nicely done. It's a pattern that will end up in my midge box for sure:^)

Normand Guest

njt

thanks, hope everybody else likes it.

could be more articles coming if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    Norm, Nice job! Excellent pattern and very nicely done. It's a pattern that will end up in my midge box for sure:^)
    Ditto...and what a nice open mind on other possibilities...Seems it would qualify for the Too Simple series.....I may try some punch yarn too.

For the sake of discussion...I'm struck by the amount of zlon tied in and needed to be trimmed ...probably for the sake of illustration....but I would point out... a couple of loose wraps and then pull the zlon towards the hook eye and then ty in.... too minimize the amount necessary trim.

Keep them coming, Norm
    Last edited by ducksterman; 06-21-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Blog Entries

saved the fly to my favorites, It meets my criteria for favorite flies, simple and looks like it will catch fish.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Ditto...and what a nice open mind on other possibilities...Seems it would qualify for the Too Simple series.....I may try some punch yarn too.

For the sake of discussion...I'm struck by the amount of zlon tied in and needed to be trimmed ...probably for the sake of illustration....but I would point out... a couple of loose wraps and then pull the zlon towards the hook eye and then tire in.... too minimize the amount necessary trim.

Keep them coming, Norm
    duck,

i'm just an oldfart stuck in his way of tying things.

i've tied it that way for so long its second nature to me. and i really dont waste that much

of course theres different way of tying in the wing to cut down on waste. tie it in as you all see fit.

"thanks, hope everybody else likes it.

could be more articles coming if they do."

I really like it and I know that Al would have loved how simple it is to tie! You keep more articles coming as far as I am concerned!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Norm, very nice tie. simple. Have you tried it on a scud hook?

Very nice clean tye Norm. I sometimes tie a very similar "emerger" version of this fly with CDC for a wing to imitate emerging blackfky pupae.

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Thumbs up It looks very San Juan-ish

I'll be heading down there for a week, next month. I'll spin a few up and if they're in play, I'll post my results with them. if they're not, they'll get used eventually.

Regards, Dave

+ Reply to Thread