+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stranger taking a kid fishing...

Hybrid View

Default Stranger taking a kid fishing...

so I was fishing a local pond today, and an 11 year old kid comes up and asks me how to flyfish (mostly cast). He got a rod recently, but nobody he knows flyfishes.

In today's world can you even offer to take a kid fishing you don't know? Maybe I offer for the kid to meet me at the park sometime during the evening (with his mother in attendance )?

I don't have kids, but I really felt for the kid b/c he seemed so interested.

thoughts?

Unfortunately in this day and age you need to be cautious in your approach. I think asking his folks first is your best beat. The last thing you need is trouble. By approaching his parents first you will hopefully convince them of your good intention.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

approaching the parents first is the right thing, making it clear that for him to fish with you he has to have a parent present. your not a baby sitter, (some parents don't care who they dump the kids onto) you want to give some fishing instruction. perhaps you could recommend a club event or something where he can fish with you and others.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Blog Entries

Something we demand of Scouters is 'Two Deep Leadership'. No boy is to EVER be alone with an adult, PERIOD. There are no exceptions. This protects the boys and the leaders. By all means work out something to have another unrelated (to you) adult with you and the boy. My preference would be the club atmosphere.

I encourage anyone who regularly works with youth in any setting to take the Youth Protection Training created for Scout Leaders. You do not need to be a registered Scouter to take the training online, but you do need to create an account.

You can create an account and find links to the training here. https://myscouting.scouting.org/_lay...eLearning.aspx

Yes, it is a shame that we need to do this, but it is a fact of life. I am required to take this training every 2 years to be a Scouter. Beginning the first of June, you can not even register as a Scouter without taking this training. It will take about 30-45 minutes online. At the very least, it will help you be smarter about how you deal with kids.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Would it help to know who gave him the rod or how he got it? Perhaps that is the other adult you could work with.

Stranger taking a kid fishing---never. One word from any child can get an adult in trouble these days. Ask a well meaning friend of mine. Invite him to do it some evening with parents or as one said the person that gave hin the fly rod.

Some have mentioned boy scouts--as a merit badge counselor I have taught fly fishing to over 150. Went thru a police check,and my traning wasnt as strck as some have wrote. Im allowed to teach 2 boy scouts or two adults and one scout. BILL

\\

+ Reply to Thread