+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woven body flies

Default Woven body flies

I am venturing into tying a few woven body flies. I've checked out the tutorials here on this site, and they're very helpful. Which weave do you prefer to tie up? I tried with floss tonight and got frustrated because it frayed quite a bit... Then I tried v-rib. That worked pretty well, but it was pretty chunky.

Perhaps you have already tried this one I did a few years ago. I find it not all that hard and it does catch fish.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...123002fotw.php
    My prefered weaving material is "G" thread, two different colors, but one can use any thread you have or want.
    If you have any difficulties in the weaving, please e-mail me and I will try to help.
    Denny

Cold Guest

Here's what I do for most of my woven flies:

http://tailingloops.blogspot.com/200...dy-woolly.html

Blog Entries

Zac,
    I use the Granny Weave for the fly that I fished at the Fish in. I learned it from Al Campbell's fly tying series here on FAOL. Look in Advanced Tying for the Granny Weave Stonefly to learn how it is done.
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Thanks guys!

Denny, I think trying to weave thread for a mayfly body at this point would make me go off the deep end! (Which wouldn't be too far of a trip, mind you.) That fly looks really neat.

Steve, the granny weave is the one that looked the easiest when I was checking out the tutorials. I'm gonna give that one a go after work today.

Zac

Blog Entries

Try some of that punch yarn for weaving. I think it would work great for that on the right fly pattern.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Zac
    I saw Tony Spezio tie that same fly at the sow bug this year, and it did not look that hard to tie. It was just a series of knots Tony was telling me. I would have to see it again before I try it on my own, but I think you could handle it.
    Fish with you later.
    Larry

I've been playing with wire woven bodies and having pretty good luck. Since it's rigid, it stays where you put it and you don't feel like you need to grow a third hand to control it. I've seen some really cool chenille weaves done as well.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I had real good luck with uni-yarn last night. Tried antron but it was too slick and kept moving. I am going to play with some other materials soon.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

S"pose we could get a run through on Thursday? I'd like to learn the technique (I need one more thing to push me THAT much closer to the edge!!). Ya think?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread