WOW! These threads can really get off course. I have seen two threads on bamboo recently and both have gone pretty much everywhere except to answer the question or comment.

FIREMAN asked the question "Hook and Hackle's Bamboo Blanks - Has anyone finished any of their blanks. I know its not the American made stuff. How do they fish etc."

I only saw a little bit of an answer to that question but it peaked my interest again to build a bamboo. I have been building glass and graphite for over thirty years now, but never a bamboo. I would love to build one from cane but no room in my Condo for that kind of work so I figured I would need to buy the blank. I have been considering ordering a blank but the price has slowed me down. I really don't need another rod, so why spend? Well the thought of that question peaked my curiosity so I ordered the 7' 4wt kit from H&H. I hope to answer FIREMAN's question properly.

At about $270 including shipping I figure I can't go too wrong. Don't get me wrong now - I am not expecting a handcrafted piece of art here. That is what slowed my decision, deciding to contact a craftsman and spend a bit more or order a manufactured blank being the cheapskate that I am. With this discussion I figure I can afford this kit and hopefully experience a reasonable introduction to the world of boo.

With this manufactured blank I do expect something in the line of cane being fed into a machine, sliced and diced, slapped together, and glued. Then fed to another machine to finish it and slap the ferrules on. I figure the spacing of nodes is up to chance rather than properly cut by a craftsman. This sounds horrible but reality is I figure it I can expect the quality level of perhaps an old Monteque only new rather than antique. With the newer machinery of today I suspect a machined blank will likely be more precise and consistent than days of old, but lack the care and quality that comes from craftsmanship.

I will report on what arrives when it gets here.