+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Measure for a tiptop

Hybrid View

Question Measure for a tiptop

I have an older 6 3/4 ft Horrocks & Ibbotson Queen Elizabeth Power Glas rod that has a broken top. I repaired it a long time ago with some stainless wire. I've decided to refinish the rod as the wrappings are coming undone and the thread is rotten. I will use the existing guides but need a tip top. How do I know what size to buy? Also, Anyone know what weight that rod is? Thanks for your help. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Tube dia of tip tops are measured in MM so you will either need a tip top gauge which you can get from any rod building supply website, or just a pair of calipers or micrometer if you have one on hand. Measure the tip and see what MM is comes out to and that will be the tube size tip top that you will need to get for it.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I have a metric caliper packed away in my shop. I'll find it and get it measured.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Tube I.D. mm (1/64”) 1/64 = .015
    1.4mm---------(3.5) .0525
    1.6mm --------(4.0) .060
    1.8mm ------- (4.5) .0675
    2.0mm --------(5.0) .075
    2.2mm --------(5.5) .0825
    2.4mm --------(6.0) .090
    2.6mm --------(6.5) .0975

So if you mike your tip and find it to be 0.0825, you would need a 5.5 tip top.
    To order you will have to use the (5.5) or whatever yours mikes out to be.
    If the number you mike is not exactly the same size, just order one the next size larger.

I have done the math for those of you that did not understand the chart I put up.
    I caution that sometimes when you buy tip tops you will find when you mike the ID they will be a bit smaller because of plating.
    Not all manufactures clean them up as well as I feel they should.
    Diane's idea of buying at least 3 tip tops when putting together a rod. I buy at least 12 each of all the sizes when I make an order.
    When I reorder I just fill my inventory back up. Course I understand this is not a good idea for those that build only one or two rods per year.
    It makes things easier to open my inventory and try fit a tip top until I find one that fits properly.
    Denny

The cool thing about tip tops is that they're about a buck and change each. So when I lost one once in a river (yes, it IS possible to be this incompetent), I ordered 3: the one I thought would be the right one, one size bigger, one size smaller. The middle one got the job done.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

One minor point about tip tops. In the US they are measured in 64ths rather than in mm. Go into a shop and ask for a tip top in mm and likely they will tell you that they don't have them. Ask them for them by 64ths and you will not be looked at as if you are a candidate for the loony bin.

aged sage

+ Reply to Thread