+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lake fishing question

Hybrid View

Default Lake fishing question

Going to do some tubing soon in a small/medium sized lake. New to it and was thinking about using a sinking line. I was just wondering what a good leader length and material would be? I might take the relaxed approach and just troll around the lake a bit.
    Janus

If your using a fast sinking line to get depth, I'd use a short leader maybe 4'. The tip of the line will be the deepest point and a long leader will ride up from there. However in small lakes I find an intermediate line is usually adequate. I just use a regular 9' leader in that case.

thanks I have an intermediate. I'm not sure of the lake it is called Rose Lake in Hocking Hills Ohio. Never been, taking the family camping and wanted to get out. Heard that it is pretty untouched with rough shoreline. Tubing seems ideal for it just want to kick around and see what happens. thanks for the info.

In my region - just a couple of miles from your's - I love floatubing and bellyboating in small high mountain lakes. My favorite combination there is a 4 or 5wt, intermediate line and long (4x) leader with a Partridge & Orange soft. Just casting close to rushes and sunken logs and the strikes of (mainly) brookies and rainbows begins. I conisder the Partridge Series a killer fly everywhere and many times I get bites during the time of the slow sinking.
    R

I hope this helps. I looked up the lake you are going to and it looks good with a maximum depth of 25 ft. Intermediate sinking line with a normal leader will do good. Soft hackles will work great on the rainbow and bluegill. I fear this may be crowded with bluegill so a light rod as previously mentioned would go well here. I personnally like leechs. I use the halloween leech a lot and the still water nympth a lot in lakes like this. Mohair leeches as well. I will you all the best in your fishing endevours. Most importantly use what ever you feel like and enjoy the time with family and ma nature.

thanks for the tip. I have a 2,3,4,6,7wts..the 4 and 6 is what I had in mind..6wt just in case..

+ Reply to Thread