So I was wading up the creek yesterday morning tossing buggers and spiders around in the water. It was quite warm outside and the water felt nice, but still a bit warm for much to be biting. Caught a couple of extra small sunfish which didn't put up much of a fight. Saw some spotted bass terrorizing the minnows and making them jump out of the water. Also caught a glimpse of a few catfish which were very nice and would have loved for one of them to take my fly.

So over the past couple of years the creek that I fish in the most (Shoal Creek) has changed quite a bit in the areas that I fish. There has been tree removal on one long stretch of banks and the water during the rainy season has washed away quite a bit of the bank and made the water deeper and swifter, not to mention warmer near the surface. Since it has changed, I've noticed more fish and larger ones at that. I'm seeing bigger bass, more bluegill and sunfish, some nice rock bass, catfish and now spotted gar, one of which occupies a deep hole in a bend that I like to fish.

About 5 years ago when I took up fly fishing for the second time, I had something take a popper off the surface and drag it to the bottom. I tried to fight it up to the surface, but my tippet broke and I got a face full of fly line. I thought it might have been a catfish since it was moving slowly, but recently I spotted this spotted gar (HA!) coming up to the surface and lazily diving back down. It's about 3 feet long, and in all honesty, I really REALLY wanna get a closer look at it.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever caught a gar on a fly? Sharp teeth or not, I want to catch one of these just to get a better look at it.