+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's making Poppers?

Hybrid View

Default Who's making Poppers?

After reading the new Fly Tyer mag, I decided to try making some poppers. Got some Perfect Popper kits and have the first 10 about done. I just colored mine with sharpies and am using some clear finger nail polish to coat. I could not find the Sinful Colors Opal Glitter that Ward Bean mentions in the article. Walgreens did not have that color.

How are you finishing your poppers with? Let's see some pictures of your fish catchers! I'll post a pic of my first 10 as soon as I get tails tied on them.
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Since you did not specific how well the poppers had to be made, I will show these. I give away more popper than I use because I tend to favor flies with a little less air resistance. All but the black one are foam, its balsa, the white bug with on the back right ( from the face side) is made from old Nike running shoes, the rest from flip flops.

Popping bugs rear.jpg
    Popping bugs face.jpg
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 06-14-2010 at 06:33 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

I am working on a batch now. The bodies are done, but I need to add the feathers. I had hoped to get that done today. I have not seen the new Fly Tyer yet, but it is on the way.

I don't have any pictures, but I like cork for the bodies, cut and/or sanded to shape (craft store bottle stoppers work okay, but wine corks are better and more fun to obtain), and use Testors enamel model paints. I start with a base coat of white, then whatever colors I want over that. The enamel seals the cork and provides a pretty tough finish with no need for and additional clear coat. The Perfect bodies are nice and simple, a great way to get started, but the cork gives you a wider range of possible shapes and sizes, and it's easy to work with.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

kelkay what are you using for the bodies?

I've tried using some hobby foam of different colors and even though I made a cutter to cut out the discs to make the bodies, they still come out uneven. The first one I made I used goose biots for some odd reason and learned that they can unfurl a furled leader... D'oh!!
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

Waynep, I started this past week end myself. I do the same with the sharpies and nail polish. I have not had time to test them but they look good. My camara is not working so I can not post any pics, sorry.

Eric
    US Army 90-92
    577th ENGR BN Training Co.

Blog Entries

The bodies are a soft foam that somebody gave me. Much like the Perfect Popper body in soft form. They also make Perfect Poppers that are in a much harder foam, but I like the soft foam better. I push the foam through the hook shank, and super glue gel it. I have some balsa popper bodies I need to work on, but I was not in the mood to do any poppers until recently. I have to feel a creative urge to do poppers, mainly because of the time involved to do them. This last bunch I did I used 5 coats on the body. I used two coats of interior/exterior varnish. I put the eyes on, added two coats of Sally's Hard As Nails. Then I did another coat of exterior/interior varnish. (I spinned them om the fly turner) You wait at least two hours between coats. I can only do 9 at a time, so it is quite time consuming to do. I have foam cutters now, and am almost out of the soft popper bodies. I will have to find a source for soft foam, then use a cheap tool I bought to finish them after cutting them. (it is a rotary tool you get at Harbor Freight)

Quote Originally Posted by joerogrz View Post
    kelkay what are you using for the bodies?

I've tried using some hobby foam of different colors and even though I made a cutter to cut out the discs to make the bodies, they still come out uneven. The first one I made I used goose biots for some odd reason and learned that they can unfurl a furled leader... D'oh!!

I finally finished my first set of poppers.

I colored them with Sharpies and clear nail polish.
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Bass_Bug Guest

These are craft foam plugs. Cut a slit and SA glue a kink shank hook in. Paint and dress as desired. Pretty straight forward. There is a smaller size , but I have to find them in a craft store and refuse to pay more for shipping than the 99 cents for the item on-line.

Theses are a bit more complicated but require no finish other than dressing with tailing material.

Even more complicated but very fun to make. This was for a pike diver, but finished shape possibilities are endless.
    A. Rough block of dense urethane foam. (shown about 1"x1"x1.5")
    B. Corners knocked off with 2" finish nail driven through center as a mandrel.
    C. After chucking up in mounted drill or dremel (I did both) the block was turned to a straight cylinder.
    D. Turned to final shape using small chisel set and sand paper.
    E. Nail removed after 'stem' turned down to nothing.
    F. Bottom sanded flat.
    G. Wapsi 2/0 Saltwater Perfect Popper hook
    H. Epoxied to hook and entire head coated with epoxy
    I. Finished painted head ready to be dressed.

Cant find the pics of my balsa. will post when I locate them.

Previous thread on balsa bodies
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...6-Balsa-Bodies
    Last edited by Bass_Bug; 02-01-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Bass_Bug Guest

As many pointed out, any sturdy metal tube will work. If you know a plumber, scraps of copper pipe and tubing can probably be had obtained for free. Old golf club shafts etc. Brass tubing at hobby shops and Ace type hardware stores is not too costly. Short pieces of copper pipe from the big box Home Centers.

One of my favorites it to browse thrift stores for usable items. Got a coffee grinder for mixing dubbing for $1.91. Heck you might even pick up a golf club for a couple bucks just to cut up the shaft?

+ Reply to Thread