+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hook and Hackles Bamboo Blanks

Hybrid View

Default Hook and Hackles Bamboo Blanks

Has anyone finished any of their blanks. I know its not the American made stuff. How do they fish etc.

don't go there brother. you know someone who can hook you up.

Oh, come on! Fireman asked a simple question ... seems a simple answer could be given without a bunch of angst!!

H&H has two different bamboo blanks, one made "off shore" one made here in the States. The lesser costing of the two would be a super rod for someone who wants the feel of boo, and envisions it for fun fishing; trouts, bluegills, etc. It's a ground floor, get your toes wet fly rod. It's a great primer for learning to finish a bamboo rod without a lot of major expense. The one made here in the States, is a very fine starter rod blank. Definitely a step up from the "off shore" blank. Again, a nifty little rod to get you started with bamboo. You have to know, at those prices, that they're not the top of the line, heritage (other than to your own family) bamboo fly rods. Their lasting value will be in the fun you have completing and fishing these rods.

I think , If asked, most of us know "someone" who builds bamboo fly rods, from scratch. Prices and quality will vary by builder. If you want to have a rod to impress others, maybe one of those builders is what you want. If you want a rod that makes you smile when it catches the sunlight "just so" while stripping in a trout ... go for it! Life's too short to get your panties in a wad.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Bass_Bug Guest

I'm always watching these kind of threads because I want to try one someday. I'm nowhere near ambitious enough to even think about starting from a raw culm. I like the idea of ready made blanks for a 'starter', and think those are a great idea for a first timer. I'm not even sure for a first, for me, if I want to mess with ferrules. That seems to be the first decision in starting with a pre-made blank. With or without mounted ferrules? But then if you get a blank (most have extra tip) and with no ferrules, are ferrules sold as a 3 piece set for a two piece rod or do you you have to buy 2 sets of ferrules?
    Last edited by Bass_Bug; 06-16-2010 at 06:55 PM.

BB ... the blanks from H&H , unless you specify otherwise, will have the ferrules included. They can be purchased as a two piece blank, or a two piece with extra tip. I haven't purchased ferrules from any other source, but would imagine, at a quick glance, that you'e probably have to get two set of ferrules. <but what do I know!!! > If you can line stuff up straight, and take your time, I don't see that you'd have any problem setting ferrules. I think, somewhere in my files, I still have the ferules setting instruction John Scott sent to me. If you decide (when you decide??) to order the blank, I'll find them (instructions) and send them on to you.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

Betty:

AMEN!

aged sage

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    I'm always watching these kind of threads because I want to try one someday. I'm nowhere near ambitious enough to even think about starting from a raw culm. I like the idea of ready made blanks for a 'starter', and think those are a great idea for a first timer. I'm not even sure for a first, for me, if I want to mess with ferrules. That seems to be the first decision in starting with a pre-made blank. With or with mounted ferrules? But then if you get a blank (most have extra tip) and with no ferrules, are ferrules sold as a 3 piece set for a two piece rod or do you you have to buy 2 sets of ferrules?
    Ferrules come in half sets(2 piece, 1 male and one female) and full sets(3 piece, 2 male and one female). Most places that sell bamboo rod making supplies list them this way. I know Golden Witch does. Ferrules can be purchased in several models, GW lists something like 5 different types, all in nickle silver. Most of the different types have pros and cons, but mostly the choice is up to you as to what look you are going for. I only list GW because it's the only one I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure that there are lots of sites out there that sell ferrules for bamboo rod making. Since your buying your blank from H&H you might as well get your ferrules from them as well.

Black_Co

I have a H&H bamboo blank. The ferrules came installed on the blank. The only thing that I had to do was taper the ferrule tabs. As to the rod, so far, I like it. My blank is the imported one. I will be giving it a good workout at the Michigan Fish In and will let you all know how it goes.

Brad

I'll toss my .02 in on the subject since I own/built a number of cane rods as well as have a best friend whom has run a bamboo blank building business for the past number of years here in Michigan.

My thoughts based on what I have seen first hand and know from my friend that splits his own cane for blanks is this.....Betty is just about dead on with what she said above.

I've seen some of the blanks from China that H&H sells, Sevier also use to sell the same blanks as well. Far as casting they are a okay blank, the big difference between them and a hand split blank made by a known builder is the finish/cosmetic aspect of the blank. Some of the China blanks I have seen have had spots where they had a node where they just left the spot on the blank, some I have seen have had some glue lines, and the finish is just not on par with a real nice cane by a builder that takes pride in his work. Doesn't mean its not worth the price H&H asks for them though so don;t get me wrong.

If all you want is to own a cane rod and have the feel of a cane rod and your not worried about impressing friends with a perfect looking blank then you'll be happy with one of the H&H blanks. If you are looking to get a cane though because you want something that is really perfect looking and something to pass down to your kids or such, then I'd say to look for a cane builder that will build you one himself just for you. You don't have to shell out $500-$700 for a blank from a well known builder either as many people think. I can get you in touch with a guy that builds some beautiful hand split cane blanks for about half of that if you want.

Steve

first off there was no angst in my reply. just my opinion (don't go there)and a simple fact (you know someone).

furthermore if yer gonna buy a rod to impress yer buddies, yer a damn fool. why would anyone buy a fishing rod to impress someone else? you buy it to fish and because you suspect it'll be a fine implement for doing so. the pack mentality here is tiresome to say the least.

fwiw since I know seege, I'll build him a blank for whatever he can afford.

+ Reply to Thread