Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
I'm always watching these kind of threads because I want to try one someday. I'm nowhere near ambitious enough to even think about starting from a raw culm. I like the idea of ready made blanks for a 'starter', and think those are a great idea for a first timer. I'm not even sure for a first, for me, if I want to mess with ferrules. That seems to be the first decision in starting with a pre-made blank. With or with mounted ferrules? But then if you get a blank (most have extra tip) and with no ferrules, are ferrules sold as a 3 piece set for a two piece rod or do you you have to buy 2 sets of ferrules?
Ferrules come in half sets(2 piece, 1 male and one female) and full sets(3 piece, 2 male and one female). Most places that sell bamboo rod making supplies list them this way. I know Golden Witch does. Ferrules can be purchased in several models, GW lists something like 5 different types, all in nickle silver. Most of the different types have pros and cons, but mostly the choice is up to you as to what look you are going for. I only list GW because it's the only one I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure that there are lots of sites out there that sell ferrules for bamboo rod making. Since your buying your blank from H&H you might as well get your ferrules from them as well.

Black_Co